PCV system

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
I dont want to run a regular PCV on my new 340 iif I can get away with out it. Any recommendations a decent breather system for my MOPAR Valve covers or is a standard PCV about my only option. i am not worried about emmisions there is no state inspection in AL.

I would run the PCV with a good breather since your car is a street car. You could get a little exotic with a vacuum pump, or an evac system to your collectors or.......just stick with the PCV and breathers :wink:

You gotta have something more than just breathers - This is why they call it positive crankcase ventilation... :D This affects more than just emissions & could lead to oil leaks, oil consumption, etc.

Truth is, the PCV system is the neatest, most efficient way to make this happen on a street engine. Pan-evac & pumps are coll but the stuff of race cars.

OK I will drill the valve cover for a PCV I was just trying to get by with out doing that. I already have the gromet for it was just looking for an alternative.

If you start driving around fast and keep up a lot of rpm, the pressure in the crank case builds up and starts pushing oil out where ever it can. Like around the damper, breathers, valve covers, etc. And if you're trying to get all the horsepower you can, just think about the pistons trying to move down in the bore with pressure in the crank case holding it back. May not be much, but its enough to slow you down.

could i run one PCV and one Breather on ether side of eachother?I have one breather on the drivers front and there is a mopar cap on the pass. sid rear valve cover!

You could try adding a grommet for the PCV were the breather is now. If you start seeing oil seeping around your damper or other places, add another breather.

cool thanks! Ill look into that for sure i need all the power i can get out of my 318! :twisted: now where does the PCV valve go other then the valve cover like where do i get the vac. from my carb or what?

The PCV is an emmisions thing only! Trust me it was in the emmisions section last year at school. The main issue with a PCV is when you go away from stock how can you figure how you need it to flow? I was running mine and the Speed Demon did not like it one bit so right from Don at FBO I was told NOT to run the PCV. You wotn have any pressue in the crankcase provided you have a breather on either side. PCV's haven't been around forever. Back in the day it was just a road draft tube. How many race cars have PCV's?

But race cars run either a vacume pump or a E-Vac system. And E-vec systems dont work well with exhaust systems.

OK who is the PCV God?? It would seem that a standard vent cap would meet the rewuirment of releasing the crankcase build up and prevent back pressure and blow out but if nit them what does that little PCV do with the Vac and how does it prevent it from backing up is just with the Vac it sucks out the pressure? I am not worried about emissions at all but I dont want any blow by so what is my best bet. i have the Mopar Alum Valve covers so to do anything other than a vent cap i will have to drill so talk to me.

Mike your 318 is already set up for a pcv aint it??If you got one no worries but mine is all brand new and i am at the point to make a decission weather to pop my valve covers cherry or not. Did you replade you covers??

The PCV is only a metered vacum leak no more no less. The main issue is when you change cam specs and lose vacuum how do you know what your pcv should flow? Maybe find the amth formula then find a pcv valve and your set. For me I run Duel breathers on my 340 with no issues at all. Remember back in the day when the PCV didn't exist. I dotn think guys where popping the dipstick outta the tube and pushing oil seals where they? The PCV draws the crankcase vapors which contain envionmentally harmful unburned Hydrocarbons and sends them back through the intake and combustion chamber to be burned again so nothing can leak into the atmosphere. If you really want I can dIg out my tech books from school and quote things for you.

Chad i have the mopar cast ones just got them the black ones look at the pics of my motor on the other page!

the guy i bought the car from told me that it runs better with a quart low, if it has 5 quarts, it leaks... could this be because of the pressure in the case like you guys are talking about? maybe my breather is plugged up? it has a tube the goes from the drivers side valve cover to a breather on the passenger's side.

I don't know s**t about PCV except for the fact that when mine was broken I definitely lost HP (and I don't have any to spare!) and when I replaced it she was much happier. Seemed to bother her more on the low end.

how do you know if the PCV is broken?

whitezombie, on jegs.com it says the black wrinkle finish is for 383/440 only, and the chrome ones are for the 318/etc, do they fit well? i was going to get the mopar performance breather kit (only in black 'wrinkle' finish) and the valve covers to match it (once i get to the engine work.)

Only reason it ran poor was because it was a broken PCV valve aka vacuum leak, msot cars do run bad with a vacuum leak. But hey I'll stick with ym duel breathers in any case.

rabius75 said:
how do you know if the PCV is broken?

whitezombie, on jegs.com it says the black wrinkle finish is for 383/440 only, and the chrome ones are for the 318/etc, do they fit well? i was going to get the mopar performance breather kit (only in black 'wrinkle' finish) and the valve covers to match it (once i get to the engine work.)
i got mine from jegs they where bank but there bad *** i hav the black rinkle ones they fit great i think there better fited then the stock crap ones!the polised ones look good too my buddy has them on his 340 they look sweet but i like the black more just me though!

-
Back