Peanut Gallery Survey for my /6 Build ...

-
Thanks for posting and replying ... That is EXACTLY the sound I'm aiming for. Can you tell me what your engine and drivetrain build spec is? That sounds like our friend's '69 Roadrunner and I didn't think I could attain that sound out of a /6 ... Very encouraging!!
Well I have a 65 225 charger slant six. Balanced blue printed. 40 over piston 10to 1 flat tops. Block decked 15k the head was decked 110k. The head was ported and polished. I had the biggest valve put in it that would fit... dont know the size. I had a strong cam put in it custom ground from Erson cams. Roller rockers from T and D. Clifford performance kit with 500cfm 2 bbl weber carb. The kit comes with carb intake headers, fuel regulator. true 2.5 dual exhaust with cherry bomb vortex mufflers. 48k volts MSD coil with NGK plugs.

Well I have a 65 225 charger slant six. Balanced blue printed. 40 over piston 10to 1 flat tops. Block decked 15k the head was decked 110k. The head was ported and polished. I had the biggest valve put in it that would fit... dont know the size. I had a strong cam put in it custom ground from Erson cams. Roller rockers from T and D. Clifford performance kit with 500cfm 2 bbl weber carb. The kit comes with carb intake headers, fuel regulator. true 2.5 dual exhaust with cherry bomb vortex mufflers. 48k volts MSD coil with NGK plugs.

Thanks for the specs. I'll be sitting down with my friend who's built race engines and street enginees to help unravel all this, as I don't know too much. A Couple f/u questions -- Any idea what HP range that has put you in? ... AND ... How is the MPG with it?

Not dyno it yet. Just got the suspension finished and put the rear end under it today! Where do you live?

If you wait a few years, I'm guessing there will be affordable motorized blowers which are an easy mod for more power, much simpler than fabbing a turbo or fitting a supercharger. The slant has restricted intake with intake and exhaust on the same side. There are already such blowers and you can watch youtubes. The <$500 ones don't work, actually restricting flow, but some ~$1000 add power. Eventually there may be complete setups w/ perhaps Li batteries and over-boost protection. Use a carb which works with boost, or better a TBI EFI. The later requires a 4BBL intake (or custom machining). Pishta here added MPFI injectors by custom-machining ports in a slant head. There was a custom MPFI intake manifold made by a small shop, so google if still offering that.

If you wait a few years, I'm guessing there will be affordable motorized blowers which are an easy mod for more power, much simpler than fabbing a turbo or fitting a supercharger. The slant has restricted intake with intake and exhaust on the same side. There are already such blowers and you can watch youtubes. The <$500 ones don't work, actually restricting flow, but some ~$1000 add power. Eventually there may be complete setups w/ perhaps Li batteries and over-boost protection. Use a carb which works with boost, or better a TBI EFI. The later requires a 4BBL intake (or custom machining). Pishta here added MPFI injectors by custom-machining ports in a slant head. There was a custom MPFI intake manifold made by a small shop, so google if still offering that.

@BillGrissom Thanks for the comments. Just discussed that I may simply opt for a 4BBL carb/manifold route from Clifford Perf as a starting point with a TorqueStorm EFI to baseline what the car drives like, then determine what to do afterwards. Along with engine machining, that might get what I'm looking for, but if not, then I can always open-up the wallet for an ex post upgrade project after I've had some time on the road with the build

Really appreciate the inputs. Beyond the performance of a dual exhaust, I kinda like the potential visual symmetrics of them with chrome ends. Concerning your suggestion about an OD transmission, are you aware of any that will fit within an unmodified tunnel? I want to retain the center console and from what we've been able to research, there isn't one that fits within cutting-out and refabricating the tunnel.
Add a dummie pipe

I rebuilt the 225 in my Dart a couple years ago. Shaved .70 off the head, did some mild porting, Oregon cam regrind, super six intake with a Weber carb, ported the exhaust manifold, 2.25 pipe through a turbo muffler and electronic ignition. Won't win any races but very fun to drive and gets great mileage. Nice rumble too.

I rebuilt the 225 in my Dart a couple years ago. Shaved .70 off the head, did some mild porting, Oregon cam regrind, super six intake with a Weber carb, ported the exhaust manifold, 2.25 pipe through a turbo muffler and electronic ignition. Won't win any races but very fun to drive and gets great mileage. Nice rumble too.
Similar to mine besides the Weber carb.

@BillGrissom Thanks for the comments. Just discussed that I may simply opt for a 4BBL carb/manifold route from Clifford Perf as a starting point with a TorqueStorm EFI to baseline what the car drives like, then determine what to do afterwards. Along with engine machining, that might get what I'm looking for, but if not, then I can always open-up the wallet for an ex post upgrade project after I've had some time on the road with the build
So what Route did you decide to go?

Do you have any pictures of the underside? How loud is it when you are driving it?

Too bad you left Az you could have driven our Dart to see if that what you would want. Rusty and I just got a simulation model of the 225 that seem very accurate we could run with different components and relate to mine. Ours is 100% max torque build from 3500 and down and the model shows it. Rusty has a build in progress that will make a lot of power between 3000 and 5500 (about 215HP).

CDC4FB64-16CB-4E85-B68D-380444FFCC77.jpeg

Guess it’s to late for me concerning whether or not to go dual exhaust or not on a Slant6. My Slant6 70 Challenger does have real dual exhaust starting at the engine with Hooker headers 3 into1 with 2.25 aluminized pipes and “H” pipe all the way to the back into twin 26” glass pack mufflers then around tank on each side thru Cuda style exhaust tips. For a daily driver it runs and sounds pretty good.
If you have the H pipe to connect them you are good. You get the scavenging effect.

Maybe a Gear Vendors overdrive unit for the factory 904 transmission. I think it can be installed with NO floor pan mods, just shortened drive shaft?

-
Back