Pellet grill and smoker.

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Expert brand from Walmart.Commodore 28 inch. Model no. XG11362244169002. What do u think of it? Besides the great price would u buy it? I can’t seem to upload any more pics. Thanks. Kim

F942B4FE-06EE-4D4D-AFB8-B64E909269BF.jpeg

Last edited:
It would probably hold the heat consistent with the pellets. But can you be assured what is actually in the pellets?
I have a charcoal smoker which works excellent.

Not sure about that one. But I am very happy with my cheapest version Trager pellet smoker. Looks like about the same size and design

My buddy is on his 2nd pellet smoker. He used the first one 2-3 times a week. He upped his game and got a deluxe one now. Do your research on the pellets.

Nope....diehard Big Green Egg guy here. If I were to get a pellet pooper I would get either a Recteq or a Green Mountain.

The first is not available thru any dealers, only direct. Used to spend way to much time on smoking/grilling/bbq forums. Everyone that has a Recteq loves the thing. Spot on temperature control, very durable, damn near no headaches. If something does go wrong their customer service is the best you can find.
The Green Mountain...sort of a budget smoker. Reason I would go with one of them is because there is several warranty centers near me.
Don't know about if this is true anymore, but when I was on the smoking/grilling/bbq forums there was a ton of unhappy Traeger owners. All sorts of nightmares.
Friend form the track has one. His Traeger had horrible temperature control. Set it at 375*, a grate mounted remote thermometer read any where from 325* to 425*. He also had a ton of igniter failures.
One of the Egg dealers I used to deal with sold damn near every brand of outdoor cooking equipment you could find. He had a list of customers that had purchased a gas/pellet/briquette cooker...within a few years many had come back and purchased an Egg. Expensive? Yup...but they can damn near do it all. Cold smoke, smoke, grill and if you so desire they can run up to 1000+ degrees (great for cooking low moisture content pizzas). Not to mention Eggs have a lifetime warranty on every thing ceramic, except the plate setter which is used for indirect cooking. I cook on one of Eggs every day. Ernie has one that is used just for baking. Nothing like a birthday cake with just a hint of smokey flavor to it.

Whichever pellet grill you decide on just remember it takes a good maintenance routine to avoid problems. They are somewhat advertised to attract customers as push-button, set-n-forget type grilling/smoking, which they are great at, but users tend to leave the hopper full for long periods and not clean out the burn area after every use. In my experience the bulk bags of cheap pellets like PitBoss you get from Lowes etc. can lead to problems because they aren't uniform in size and density or get exposed to moisture.

We grill/smoke 2-3 times a week year round so I thought the convenience factor would be great but honestly I find myself going back to my charcoal units more often.

Whichever pellet grill you decide on just remember it takes a good maintenance routine to avoid problems. They are somewhat advertised to attract customers as push-button, set-n-forget type grilling/smoking, which they are great at, but users tend to leave the hopper full for long periods and not clean out the burn area after every use. In my experience the bulk bags of cheap pellets like PitBoss you get from Lowes etc. can lead to problems because they aren't uniform in size and density or get exposed to moisture.

We grill/smoke 2-3 times a week year round so I thought the convenience factor would be great but honestly I find myself going back to my charcoal units more often.

How often do you empty your hopper? I clean my ash pot between any cook that is over 4 hours.

I bought the Pit Boss from Wally World a few years back. It has been a good one. I like it because it has a grate to open above the fire box so you can sear burgers, chops, and steaks.

7-20-18b.jpg

chop.jpg

My traeger is called Ms Menopause, it regulates it temperature like a woman with hot flashes.

Making me hungry! Love pizza and pizza bread on it. That bread is $1 a loaf from Wally World. Throw on some sauce and ingredients. Yum.

21272328_1651407501539179_224986041010258812_n.jpg

What model number is it Mike. Kim
Kim, as was said it is the FB700. I believe you live near Winterpeg, I suggest if you go this route, get the insualted blanket for it when using in cold temps.

Sorry, I see now Kindersley Saskatchewan, never the less, get blanket for cold temp use.

Last edited:
Masterbuilt Gravity Series® 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

I got me one of these last year. Doesn't run pellets, I can use whatever wood I want, and it'll go 8-12hrs at 200-225. I've done ribs, Briskets, tri tip, fish, and then we cranked it up to 700F and did pizza too.

Works great. Temp regulation is awesome.

My only issue so far has been some of the switches. That and something with the internal temp probe. Occasionally it will slowly read lower and lower (and not turn the fan off or down as a result), but if I unplug the lid switch it's fine. It's got to be a sensor ground issue with the temp probe. Didn't ever do it until it froze outside, and mine is out in the elements all the time, so may be a moisture issue.

The 1050 is big enough I can fit more food than is needed to feed 20ppl. My first big smoke was Brisket, two tri tip, 6 racks of pork ribs, two full salmon fillets, asparagus, queso, beans, garlic, 6 stuffed bell peppers, and stuffed mushrooms too. Still held the temp just fine and was super easy to run. If you use lump Charcoal, it only needs the ash removed every 3 or 4 bags of coals. I use lots of wood chunk mixed with the Charcoal and in the ash pan for smoke flavor. It's never too much smoke either, and so far I haven't figured out a way to make acrid smoke with it.

Perhaps the only downside is if you go from 200 to 500 degrees after a long cook, you're going to get a grease fire. But so far that hasn't been too terrible either. I just close the lid and wait it out and let it burn off. Nothing has ever glowed or been damaged when it happens.

I went with a cheap brand Zgrills. Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like WiFi or blue tooth but it holds a temp. First one is pheasant that turned out great. Then a butt, and some ribs. Ribs in that picture don’t have a drop of sauce on them either.

059EC91B-58E6-49D6-A73F-9DA06B8097C6.jpeg

612BFA56-38F7-4D29-95F3-968703AA0DE6.jpeg

9CBC9D28-1A99-4E1D-BCB1-CA9FB31423D4.jpeg

Masterbuilt Gravity Series® 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

I got me one of these last year. Doesn't run pellets, I can use whatever wood I want, and it'll go 8-12hrs at 200-225. I've done ribs, Briskets, tri tip, fish, and then we cranked it up to 700F and did pizza too.

Works great. Temp regulation is awesome.

My only issue so far has been some of the switches. That and something with the internal temp probe. Occasionally it will slowly read lower and lower (and not turn the fan off or down as a result), but if I unplug the lid switch it's fine. It's got to be a sensor ground issue with the temp probe. Didn't ever do it until it froze outside, and mine is out in the elements all the time, so may be a moisture issue.

The 1050 is big enough I can fit more food than is needed to feed 20ppl. My first big smoke was Brisket, two tri tip, 6 racks of pork ribs, two full salmon fillets, asparagus, queso, beans, garlic, 6 stuffed bell peppers, and stuffed mushrooms too. Still held the temp just fine and was super easy to run. If you use lump Charcoal, it only needs the ash removed every 3 or 4 bags of coals. I use lots of wood chunk mixed with the Charcoal and in the ash pan for smoke flavor. It's never too much smoke either, and so far I haven't figured out a way to make acrid smoke with it.

Perhaps the only downside is if you go from 200 to 500 degrees after a long cook, you're going to get a grease fire. But so far that hasn't been too terrible either. I just close the lid and wait it out and let it burn off. Nothing has ever glowed or been damaged when it happens.

Over 1000 inches is a lot of grilling space. I need to read up on those gravity feed units.

I have Pit boss 700FB which is perfect size for me. In fact I have bought 8 of these and gave away to my kids, sister and friends. Everyone of us said they will never use anything else. I like the Competition blend pellets, Joe

-
Back