Pertronix distributor wiring question

-

WCMachine

Reaction score
IMG_6370.JPG
im looking at the instructions and the simple wiring diagram provided. Do you think they are grounding the distributor by just contact with the block? Seems it would need to be grounded some how, maybe that's good enough.

Just through the dist case see it all the time on my dist machine if it is painted.

I've been using there stuff for 20 years. Never had a failure.Read the instructions,do as they say and you are good to go !

Make sure your coil is correct and your ignition (plug and coil wires) are to spec for the unit used (Trust me on this). There are several ways to bypass the ballast. Easiest is jumping the wires, if you want to hide things consider disassembly of the resistor and put a solid 12awg wire in place of the actual resistor on the back side. This way the bypass is hidden for a more stock appearance. My III unit has a braided ground strap that just ties to the dizzy case, course this was a module only not a whole dizzy unit.

Thanks for the reply's. It's a pro street car so I'll probably pull the resistor, ignition unit and any unnessasary wiring to clean things up. It will probably work fine the way it it's but I like grounds so I'll probably add one anyway.

Thanks for the reply's. It's a pro street car so I'll probably pull the resistor, ignition unit and any unnessasary wiring to clean things up. It will probably work fine the way it it's but I like grounds so I'll probably add one anyway.

Awesome, best of luck! I have seen the advance unit inside the drop in dizzy' and are not impressed.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Just came today, I haven't opened it up yet.

You be the judge!

The ones I have seen use a hokey gm (similar) type advance with some questionable bracket deals.

I see what you mean, the springs are easy to get to though. The limiter brackets seemed real loose and hokey until I realized that the rotor holds them I place.

It is good to ground the body with a separate wire. Loss of ground can fail the module. Ground can be lost easily on aluminum distributors with o-ring seals and loose clamp, that happens when adjusting timing.

I speak from pertronix experience years ago, and failed one that way.

Yes, it grounds to the engine block thru the distributor case. Points also ground thru the case. If spinning it in the air to test, run a temporary jumper wire from case to BATT-.

-
Back