Peyote's 66 Dart -- "Wild Thing"

-

KevinB

Reaction score
I guess I better start a progress thread...so here we go!

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,034
That is a beauty right there :color: Very cool MoPar for sure and my favorite year :cheers:

It arrived at my house and got a bath and new wheels (temporary to roll it around)

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,082
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,056
Looks like a pretty good starting point, what are your plans?

Ok so the plans are:

Replace /6 with a 318 that I'm rebuilding right now (paint Engine bay at the same time). Keith black pistons, comp cam and timing set, edelbrock performer and 4bbl, aluminum radiator, TTI headers, and a custom local exhaust.

New springs and torsion bars

Ford 8.8 rear end with disks, disk kit for the front

One Rear Quarter panel needs to be replaced, and a couple of floor pans

New upholstery, headliner and carpet

New steering wheel

New custom gauge panel and autometer gauges

New radio (retromod style) and speakers

New rims and rear bumper

Paint job will be Black Cherry Pearl.

Motor time! Here's the progress on the 318. FYI I have only disassembled, I have not altered or cleaned the motor at all yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_1825.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,031
My favorite year! But I might be bias! Car looks like a great project. Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck as you go forward with it. If I can be of any help feel free to contact me. This forum has been great helping me get my 66 under control so far.
Rod

Looks like fun to me but I am also one of the biased ones. Lol keep us up with the progress. Tmm

Got the slant 6 out, it's going to a forum member. Due to a change in my family's income, I won't be able to spend any money for a few months months...but I have plenty to do in terms of restoration. I'll start with the engine bay and paint it gloss or satin black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 882
I got the fender tag off the engine bay and used electrolysis for 24 hours to get the rust off. Then I'll get the paint off and repaint it. It's the little things.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 890
The de rusted tag

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 836
Fender tag should be painted body color.
I can't recall the actual process used in the assembly plant but a lot of times it was attached with one screw, then painted attached to body & then the second screw was installed - do one screw was painted & the second wasn't .

Fender tag should be painted body color.
I can't recall the actual process used in the assembly plant but a lot of times it was attached with one screw, then painted attached to body & then the second screw was installed - do one screw was painted & the second wasn't .

Thanks for the details, I'll plan on doing that.

Here's paint code info http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1966&manuf=Chrysler&smodel=Plymouth&info=yes&page=3

I prefer the engine bay to be body color, especially when it's a light color like your car which will highlight the engine.

The color is gonna change...I'm not partial to the pale yellow. Most likely I'll go with black or a deep red that's almost black...black cherry. The engine will be red, so maybe I'll paint the tag red with black letters. I do want it to stand out

Nice project car to start with.Just a note ...you will get excoriated by a bunch of people here if you don't paint the engine bay body color and for heavens sake don't forget to black out the area behind the grill.

Nice project car to start with.Just a note ...you will get excoriated by a bunch of people here if you don't paint the engine bay body color and for heavens sake don't forget to black out the area behind the grill.

Yeah I fully expect that...but it's ok. The engine bay will be black and the body will be either black or blackish red, there will be very little difference

-
Back