Peyote's 66 Dart -- "Wild Thing"

-
Wife had to quit her job, too much stress...so things are slowing down for sure. But I was able to order a set of Eagle I beam rods the other day.

In other news, I've decided my next step should be taking care of the body. I'm fishing around with local sandblasting companies to see if someone wants to trade their services for mine (Graphic design for their business). So far I've gotten a couple of bites, so I may be able to get this thing stripped to bare metal for no cost other than my time designing.

I'm also using the same tactic with a couple of engine machine shops to get my work done for the 318. Fingers crossed.

If all that fails, I'll probably buy a blaster/vacuum combo unit for $350 and blast it myself. However For the next couple of weeks I'll be spending time stripping it down, and sorting and labelling all the interior pieces and trim.

I noticed the trunk lid is warped from a collision...not much fender damage, but that fender's got rust so I'll replace it anyway and there's repros available. The trunk lid though is harder to find. I've got calls in at a couple of salvage yards, and was told by one that it'd be $400 if he had one...yikes!

I've got the paint master from a restoration shop coming by soon to evaluate the car, maybe he'll say its worth fixing, but I doubt it.

The rear end is still not fixed, I'm just gonna have to save up a little cash to get the 8.8 finalized. I came to the conclusion the pinion was set up wrong and that's why I can't bolt down the carrier without things seizing up.

Thats all for now!

Nice one!!!
What gearing???

3.73 that another member had gotten from someone else...It used to live in a mustang if memory serves my correctly, and was already shortened to 51"...from an explorer so its got disks. Someone also welded up the axle tubes at some point. I would love to get it done so its not in my way anymore! There's a local mustang shop that said they'd set it up correctly for $250-$325, well worth the peace of mind.

Good news! A local blasting company has agreed to sandblast my car in exchange for design work! Free blasting!

I guess the only question is: Should I have them blast the inside of the fenders? Under the car as much as possible? In the cabin?

Said local sandblasting guy is turning out to be REALLY flakey. I'll put up with a lot of crap, but when I can't get you to call me over the course of a week, I really doubt I want to do business with you.

Well until I hear otherwise, back to the drawing board. I was quoted $1300 for dustless blasting of the entire car. Yikes. I'll soon start stripping the car down to prep for blasting, but I'm starting to think maybe I should just have the body shop that paints it blast it for me all at the same time.

Got the interior ripped out and found two things...some holes in the front pans, and a Standard oil gas card that expired in 1967!

Still in talks with a sand blaster and a dry ice blaster.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 433
Are those GT enblems behind the rear windows? I was under the impression that all GT:s had front disc brakes.

I'm following this anyhow. Need all the input I can get for my own 66 GT resto. :)

Are those GT enblems behind the rear windows? I was under the impression that all GT:s had front disc brakes.

I'm following this anyhow. Need all the input I can get for my own 66 GT resto. :)

Nope. Disc brakes were a option.

Sorry for the upside down pics, using this forum on a phone just doesn't work!

If all goes according to plan, the donor car should be here tomorrow. Crossing fingers! It's in a muddy backyard, and has to go out through a neighborhood drainage canal area. We're gonna pull it with a 4x4 to get it to the street to the tow dolly and truck.

Tomorrow morning I've got to take out my 7-1/4" rear and load it into my station wagon. Then hook it up once I get to the car. It will be a tiring and interesting day!

Well after an exhausting day, donor dart is in the driveway. Expect a parting out thread in a week

We'll need a pic of that ... :D Any chance the headlight rings are for sale? Mine turned out to be pretty rusty.

We'll need a pic of that ... :D Any chance the headlight rings are for sale? Mine turned out to be pretty rusty.

I'll post it in the parting out thread, too hard to keep track of multiple requests in various threads...but if memory serves me, one of them is missing. thanks!

I'll post it in the parting out thread, too hard to keep track of multiple requests in various threads...but if memory serves me, one of them is missing. thanks!

Yes, of course. I'll keep an eye open then.

That is your donor car?! You lucky sod ...

LOL yes, I did get very lucky! Although I did have to remove my 7-1/4" rear, haul it 100 miles, and install it in this one just to haul it back. Not to mention the Ford Ranger loaded with 1000 lbs of crap in the back that we had to push out of the way, and the 20 or so steel pipes with concrete chunks at the bottom that had to be relocated. The dude was a hoarder with 20+ unfinished projects in his back yard. At the end of it the dude said "That was the hardest $300 I've ever made." LMAO I almost said he should have been paying me for all the manual labor involved in clearing a path!

It was cheap enough I'm hoping to use the profits from parting it out to get some engine and rear end work done.

I found the engine shop I'm going to use, just gotta go back there and work up a plan to get to my 320-360 hp goal

Just pulled the heads off the donor 66 dart today. Turns out I have one of those funky cars that has 315 casting heads ('64-'65) on a 66 motor. I double checked the intake bolts with my '68 318 intake and they match up fine. kinda weird, but I'll take it!

I cc'd the '66 heads because I've seen numbers quoted for these everywhere from 57cc to 64cc. Mine's sitting at a comfortable 63cc. Thank god they're not 57, that's just too much compression for my build.

63 cc + KB167 pistons + .04" gasket and I should be in the realm of 9.2-9.5, depending on how tall exactly my deck is. One of these days I'll put a piston back on the crank and in the block to find out. Anyway, I'm going to CC the 318 heads just for grins. Carry on!

LOL yes, I did get very lucky! Although I did have to remove my 7-1/4" rear, haul it 100 miles, and install it in this one just to haul it back. Not to mention the Ford Ranger loaded with 1000 lbs of crap in the back that we had to push out of the way, and the 20 or so steel pipes with concrete chunks at the bottom that had to be relocated. The dude was a hoarder with 20+ unfinished projects in his back yard. At the end of it the dude said "That was the hardest $300 I've ever made." LMAO I almost said he should have been paying me for all the manual labor involved in clearing a path!

It was cheap enough I'm hoping to use the profits from parting it out to get some engine and rear end work done.

I found the engine shop I'm going to use, just gotta go back there and work up a plan to get to my 320-360 hp goal

Excellent! This is hot rodding,at it's best. No dinero: work your butt off ,for it. You wanted something bad enough,you got it.

Just pulled the heads off the donor 66 dart today. Turns out I have one of those funky cars that has 315 casting heads ('64-'65) on a 66 motor. I double checked the intake bolts with my '68 318 intake and they match up fine. kinda weird, but I'll take it!

I cc'd the '66 heads because I've seen numbers quoted for these everywhere from 57cc to 64cc. Mine's sitting at a comfortable 63cc. Thank god they're not 57, that's just too much compression for my build.

63 cc + KB167 pistons + .04" gasket and I should be in the realm of 9.2-9.5, depending on how tall exactly my deck is. One of these days I'll put a piston back on the crank and in the block to find out. Anyway, I'm going to CC the 318 heads just for grins. Carry on!

Sounds like you got a handle,on this part. Best of luck, KB's will treat you well...

-
Back