Phantom Mopar Muscle: Chrysler’s Ball-Stud Hemi V8

-

kursplat

Reaction score
Ball Stud Hemi
"The Ball-Stud V8 was intended to be Act II in Chrysler’s Hemi muscle-car story, but unfortunately, it never made it past the prototype phase. Here’s the story behind the interesting experiment."

Great story... and another day that I learn something. Thanks for posting.

Yep! It was meant to be at a lower production cost.
A279_BallStudHemi_1_Lg.jpg

Looks a lot like a Rat motor Chevy doesn't it!
A279_BallStudHemi_1_Lg.jpg

It was also a B motor (low deck) I have a bunch of pictures of it if I can find them.

There was an article in Mopar Muscle years ago on this. I just came across it the other day while flipping through some mags.

Interesting that he spark plugs came in on the side of the chamber. Nothing like the true Hemi where the plug was almost between the valves.

Last edited:
looks like wide cleveland heads

which are really boss 302 heads. ford figured out they needed more cubes to make them streetable

heads2.jpg

this smaller hemi sure would have made a great A body motor :steering:

While were talking about ports ford had nothing on Pontiac Ram Air V
The ports were so big the push rod went through the middle of the port

100_0740.jpg

hppp_0903_15_z+ram_air_v+intake_ports.jpg

ram-air-5-rod-blanks.jpg

Didn't Aruzza get one of those ball-studs running in a 69 notch back for Tom Hoover?

I believe that a variation of the ball, stud Hemi was used on a 6 cylinder Australian Chrysler. How about it you guys down under ??

thanks for the pics Brian6pac.
While were talking about ports ford had nothing on Pontiac Ram Air V...The ports were so big the push rod went through the middle of the port

ford tunnel port 427. they moved the pushrod to the intake...they came up with these after the cammer was outlawed

wp471b347d_0a_06.jpg

I did a couple boss 351's for a friend back in the early 90's I have some picture but have to scan them, maybe tomorrow, they were definitely bad *** in a 70 mustang.

I did a couple boss 351's for a friend back in the early 90's I have some picture but have to scan them, maybe tomorrow, they were definitely bad *** in a 70 mustang.
yup. had a friend that built one for the 68' montaego MX i sold him. crap that thing was fast, until it grenaded the c6 :eek:

Wanna hear it?

Jeff

Well my 2 cents is, why have a hemi combustion chamber for offset valves / It wouldn`t flow as good as the true hemi head, might as well run smaller narrower chambers, since it wouldn`t have the hemi flow effect to it. Probly didn`t want to be accused of copying the rat !
W/ wedge intake ports, and the wrong shaped D ports too ! Bet it was dog compared to the real thing !--------jmo

Well my 2 cents is, why have a hemi combustion chamber for offset valves / It wouldn`t flow as good as the true hemi head, might as well run smaller narrower chambers, since it wouldn`t have the hemi flow effect to it. Probly didn`t want to be accused of copying the rat !
W/ wedge intake ports, and the wrong shaped D ports too ! Bet it was dog compared to the real thing !--------jmo

You have to realize this was the beginning of the downfall due to smog and coming more smog regulations. They were trying to reduce production costs of the "real thing" while maintaining SOME sort of performance. 70, really, was "the last year" before smog crap REALLY started to hit really hard. By 74, 75, performance was really starting to hurt, and a couple years after than was pretty much dead

-
Back