Physics for gearheads..or why gear ratios matter

-
Now if they could just make one for a 450/450 sbm streeter, to weigh less than an A-833,have the same ratio spread as a 5od or 6 spd, AND cost under $1000.Can.
Um, I'll take two please.I'll take one with a big stick I can yank on.

Wasn't there a guy in Australia that made a mini CVT for a bicycle? Great idea.....

CVT's are awesome.

Imagine a transmission where you always make the best mileage. But you always make the best power. Oh you also are never caught in the wrong gear. The response is always immediate. Etc etc. There's an old article out there (I cant remember the name or author) and its about how for years he preached CVT, that manual and automatics were outdated. That once CVT became the in thing, that would be it. And it was written long before CVT's were even commonly available in any vehicle.

I drew one of those in 1980, when I was 12.

I also own one. Not quite the same design- it's in a Zuma 125 scooter.

Has a "variator", where a belt rides up and down in a pulley that looks too big for it, depending on speed and centrifugal force.

0-45 MPH is pretty quick.

Nothing pisses of a Harley guy like getting beat off the line by a 125.

Most all automatic atv's and scooters and most snowmobiles use them. Just don't get the belt wet! My wife's caliber has one. Makes me nervous but functions well. jatco, they call it.

But quick response times? No.

If it's not under power, it takes time to spool up the drive side to get the force needed to engage the cvt. It's noticeable.

this idea was first mass produced and used in street legal cars in 1958 (to the best of my knowledge)

very short wiki article here
Variomatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the biggest drawback on the DAF version as it was offered in their 600 model was that it was partially controlled by engine vacuum
then meant that as the car reached its top speed and you let of the gas, engine vacuum changed, which shifted the transmission and caused the car to keep accelerating passed its "pedal to the metal top speed"

(or, as explained by a wiki on the 600)
"The DAF Variomatic employs engine speed, via centrifugal weights, to shift the transmission and is enhanced by an engine manifold vacuum. It was the only car ever produced which went faster by the simple expedient of gently and gradually releasing the accelerator once top speed had been reached. This increased manifold vacuum which helped the variable pulleys shift to an even higher ratio so even though the engine RPM stays the same, the transmission increases the car's speed, in the case of the DAF 600, from 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) to nearly 70 mph (110 km/h) given enough time and level road"

and, a link to an article on it in popular mechanics, December of 1959, p.140-142

Popular Science

Last edited:
-
Back