360 .060 over (371ci)
H116CP SpeedPro pistons Hypereutectic
Measured cr of 9.8:1
Other wise stock bottom rotating assembly
Stock 587 heads with 1.88/1.60 valves
Stock HP 340 exhaust manifolds
Eddy LD340 intake manifold
carb-undecided (most likely 750cfm)

And all the above info is not speculation or wishing. It's actually what I've got on the stand to put in the car. So suggesting different pistons or aluminum heads won't change anything.

The intent for the car is a fun daily driver. I'm not expecting great mileage or an 11sec street car. However, I'd like it to be able to get mid teens mpg and maybe dip into the 12s.

So what do you guys suggest?

What CAM would you suggest?

And spray scares me on Hypereutectic pistons. Although it works.

Believe it or not, I like the Mopar Performance .528 solid here. It's a fantastic cam and since it is ground on a 112, it will have balls to pull the OD transmission with minimal downshifting. If you are building a high performance Mopar engine, an adjustable valve train should be on your list anyway. The 273 rockers are available very reasonable and there are usually some for sale here. I think you would be really happy with that cam choice.

What CAM would you suggest?

And spray scares me on Hypereutectic pistons. Although it works.
I was just joking, I don't know anything about cams. I personally got mine Ground by someone who actually grinds cams and races the cams he grinds. I don't think a small amount of spray would hurt any motor, repeat small amount. And I'm not trying to change the subject, things get sideways here quick sometimes.

Ok, relevent specs are as follows:

1964 Dart 170 2dr sedan 2800-3000lbs
Manual brakes
4spd overdrive
8.25" rear with 3.55fd SG
26" tall rear tires

360 .060 over (371ci)
H116CP SpeedPro pistons Hypereutectic
Measured cr of 9.8:1
Other wise stock bottom rotating assembly
Stock 587 heads with 1.88/1.60 valves
Stock HP 340 exhaust manifolds
Eddy LD340 intake manifold
carb-undecided (most likely 750cfm)

And all the above info is not speculation or wishing. It's actually what I've got on the stand to put in the car. So suggesting different pistons or aluminum heads won't change anything.

The intent for the car is a fun daily driver. I'm not expecting great mileage or an 11sec street car. However, I'd like it to be able to get mid teens mpg and maybe dip into the 12s.

So what do you guys suggest?

Ditch the manifolds,ld340 first off
Then depends how deep your pockets are and you are gonna need more gear like 3:91 or 4:10 and they cruise fine my low low 11 sec car cruises fine 70mph at 2700 rpms

So if pockets are deep get eddy heads, get them stage 2 ported and run a hyd flat tappet cam , the voodoo cams are good I went 11s with a Hughes big grind but don't run heir lifters they are garbage. Run any aluminum intake port match it . You need a good header also the only way to make power is more air in and more exhaust out

If money is tight get cam,springs from same as above and run a 4:10 gear

Good luck
And the real only way to know what cam is to flow headstand intake mani and get cam ground to those flow numbers then get a real converoter for the set up that's the proper way IMO

Maybe you should actually read his post. lol

Ditch the manifolds,ld340 first off
Then depends how deep your pockets are and you are gonna need more gear like 3:91 or 4:10 and they cruise fine my low low 11 sec car cruises fine 70mph at 2700 rpms

So if pockets are deep get eddy heads, get them stage 2 ported and run a hyd flat tappet cam , the voodoo cams are good I went 11s with a Hughes big grind but don't run heir lifters they are garbage. Run any aluminum intake port match it . You need a good header also the only way to make power is more air in and more exhaust out

If money is tight get cam,springs from same as above and run a 4:10 gear

Good luck
And the real only way to know what cam is to flow headstand intake mani and get cam ground to those flow numbers then get a real converoter for the set up that's the proper way IMO

Unfortunately the stock heads and manifolds will be a restriction so if it were me i would pick something that stock rockers and single valve springs would work with , it keeps costs down and simplifies things until later on if you decide to upgrade. I like the .528 mopar cam that was suggested above but you would need adjustable rockers and and pushrods but he pointed that out in the above response, I will probably get torched for suggesting these cams but i like both the .474 and .484 purple shafts and it requires simple rocker gear and springs. There are some other comp , lunati grinds but with the 4 speed the two purple shafts would make good power , sound good if you like a lumpy idle and should be problem free. 2.5 inch exhaust would be recommended as well as a 750 on top of the LD340

The 360 can take a 200 shot on a regular basis if the bottom end is in at least good condition and not even built.

The cam recommendations, Ill leave to more experienced people but I will say one thing.
CALL and talk to whoever you might be leaning towards and tell them the details of your build and what you want out of it.
If they don't have time to talk to you about it they don't have time to take your money.

Unfortunately the stock heads and manifolds will be a restriction so if it were me i would pick something that stock rockers and single valve springs would work with , it keeps costs down and simplifies things until later on if you decide to upgrade. I like the .528 mopar cam that was suggested above but you would need adjustable rockers and and pushrods but he pointed that out in the above response, I will probably get torched for suggesting these cams but i like both the .474 and .484 purple shafts and it requires simple rocker gear and springs. There are some other comp , lunati grinds but with the 4 speed the two purple shafts would make good power , sound good if you like a lumpy idle and should be problem free. 2.5 inch exhaust would be recommended as well as a 750 on top of the LD340

No torchin goin on here.

The 474 and 484 cams are both fine. My thinkin was that even if he goes hydraulic, it is good money spent on adjustable valve gear to get lifter preload dead right. There's some extra power to be had there. So, why not really take advantage of that and go solid? Just kinda spitballin.

Plus that 484.....while a good cam is really bout too big. The 474 would be good. But the 528 would be the best of both worlds. Technically about the same size as the 474, but with more lift and the advantage of being solid. I like the 112 LSA too for good manners and a strong vacuum signal, plus that wide torque curve that will help pull that OD in high gear.

I THINK the 484 would lead to some down shifting on grades on the highway and cost some mileage there. Course, there's really no good test except to try it and see.

Call Jim at Racer Brown. Or you can do the MP .528. I agree that no matter what, spring for an adjustable valve train.

Yeah Racer Brown is excellent too. They used to make the Direct Connection cams. Course don't go recommendin them either cause some of these snots around here will say you're an old coot recommendin obsolete stuff like they do me. lol

Comp 282H would be a nice cam for that motor. I have run it in a 340 and a 416 and it has a great street / strip powerband.

Lunati .494/.513 "voodoo cam" get the matching springs and you'll be in business..

Yeah Racer Brown is excellent too. They used to make the Direct Connection cams. Course don't go recommendin them either cause some of these snots around here will say you're an old coot recommendin obsolete stuff like they do me. lol

If they see the specs on my new RB cam, that I just broke in last night, they would know it is FAR from old skool. BUT, you just can't call Jim and run your mouth. It took half a dozen calls, some for 30 minutes, some even longer and I had to convince him I wasn't some retard who just wants the biggest stick I can shove in there.

I got pretty much what I thought I wanted. When I gave him my valve job dimensions he got what I am doing and hooked me up with a fairly new lobe. Jim gets it. You just can't be a bubble gummer and expect him to grind you up a whopper of a cam. You have to earn it with Jim.

BTW, I would not consider my cam a whopper, just the correct cam.

THANKS JIM at RACER BROWN.

-
Back