vntned

Reaction score
'77 D100
Curb weight: 3800lbs
Gear Ratio: 3.23fd
Tire size: 275/60R15
Engine size: LA 318
Compression ratio: 9:1
Cam: Mopar P4452761 (cam specs: Mopar Performance Purple Camshaft Kits P4452761AE)
Trans: A727

This is gonna be a street truck. Daily driver, mostly. Regular truck duties with occasional towing. Not a race truck, but I want it to be a fun cruiser with good manors and performance.

IMG_20180306_110826.jpg

Loaded question at best, lol! Buy the highest quality converter you can afford, but my gut instinct says 2200 rpm HD towing type converter, being your cruise speed at 60 mph is going to be in the 2300 rpm range. I am not going to recommend a brand because it’s a different world from when I’ve used off the shelf converters. I would talk to PTC or Ultimate converter to get their recommendations. I would ask more what to stay away from if I wasn’t able to justify the expense of one of their converters. If you haven’t already, put an auxiliary transmission cooler in front of the radiator and plumb it in to cool the fluid after it passes through the internal cooler in the radiator. Don’t be worried about over cooling the transmission fluid. I have never had a transmission failure from overcooling a transmission, but I admit to having burned plenty up plenty of transmissions from overheating them...

Yes, Rusty nailed it. I have been out of the loop on who makes the highest quality replacement converter at the present, hence being overly cautious with selection. I’ve seen too many fresh transmission wrecked by offshore converters, lol! But if you can buy something identical the high stall factory HD converter off the shelf (which IIRC is really close to that 2200 rpm figure), it won’t break the bank and it won’t break either. With a moderate 318 and a.727 with said converter, your drivetrain’s lifespan will be borderline eternal.

Call Precision of New Hampton. They are very reasonable and will fix you up. They may even have that application in a reman.

I've never used a Hughes converter. I think they are decent quality, but I'm not sure. Stall speed seem about right but you need to remember, that will vary from application to application. It's just a guide.

I hear so much about mass production performance brand converters that cost a lot not having furnace brazing when supposed to and using bushings when Torrington bearings are spec'd that I am weary of buying anything unless recommended by someone who has done business with them with faith in their products and knows someone in the company on a first name basis. I'm afraid if there is a nickle to made in it, there's usually crookedness in some part of it somewhere. But Rusty's recommendations are as good as any your going to find on here because of actual experience.

with that HotRod cam, that low compression, that high weight, and those tiny gears and tall tires, at least a 2800 at the very least; 3200 better.
I would pitch that 727 in a heartbeat and install an A500 to run 4.30s. Then you can maybe run down to a 2400, But I'd still keep the 2800.
That's what I'd do.
I love that 2800, it's such a kick in the butt with a hi-torque engine. Which your 268/272/110* cammed 9/1 teener with 3.23s is not gonna be; but it'll still be fun.

Last edited:
-
Back