Picked up a 72 Dart, stopping in for advice/ideas!

-

KaleTheWanderer

Reaction score
Hey all! Just got a 1972 dart in a trade. It wasn't anything that I was expecting, but when I saw it I knew I had to give it a go. Only been a day but I'm not at all disappointed with the decision. It's already catalyzed a lot of really fun conversations and seems to bring out the best in people. Oh, got me flashed at a bar last night too haha XD. Most importantly though I've had the stupidest smile plastered on my face every time I take it out.

Anyways, this is my first ever classic aside from a 79 xs1100 ages ago. In a diesel mechanic program currently but I feel very much out of my comfort zone haha. These old cars are a different breed.

So here I am, if anyone has any wisdom to hand down, things to look out for, upgrades I should look into, anything really, I'd love the opportunity to learn!

Here's a couple pictures. She's got a few dents and some surface rust but gosh does she drive nice. All original as far as I can tell too.

Anyways, looking forward to lurking your forums!

20221021_143227.jpg

20221021_143213.jpg

Welcome aboard! Very cool car. Vinyl top means there's likely rust under it, as Chrysler did not prep the roofs of cars that got vinyl tops very well. Places to look and "feel" for rust is all along the perimeters of the windshield and rear glass, and also on the sail panels down low going into the tops of the quarters. There's a factory seam on each side there and the factory just slobbed body filler in to fill the gap pretty haphazardly. I have seen a few that were solid, but most need help "somewhere" under the vinyl. Neat car, though. Is it a 318 or slant 6?

Nice car - if I didn't have a 69 Dart my next choice would be a 70-72 Dart. Making sure the car is road worthy would be my top priority. Depending on the condition of your car, I'd start with a full inspection of brakes, tires, steering, and suspension. After that I'd move on to checking the fuel system, all the hoses and belts, and change all the fluids.

Nice car. It is only origional once also. Amazing it has not been into. Welcome from PA!

Welcome aboard! Very cool car. Vinyl top means there's likely rust under it, as Chrysler did not prep the roofs of cars that got vinyl tops very well. Places to look and "feel" for rust is all along the perimeters of the windshield and rear glass, and also on the sail panels down low going into the tops of the quarters. There's a factory seam on each side there and the factory just slobbed body filler in to fill the gap pretty haphazardly. I have seen a few that were solid, but most need help "somewhere" under the vinyl. Neat car, though. Is it a 318 or slant 6?
Thanks!

Surprisingly, I've tapped around on the top and it all feels nice and solid. There's a light dusting of surface rust in little spots, but it seems to have okay bones still. Towards the back where the roof meets the body there is an angry looking chunk of rust that I'm getting ready to sand out. Maybe 3in × 2in. I figure a little bondo should do the trick afterwards. Not convinced it's even fully rusted through.

It's a slant 6!

Welcome aboard! Nice looking Dart!
Thanks!!

Nice car - if I didn't have a 69 Dart my next choice would be a 70-72 Dart. Making sure the car is road worthy would be my top priority. Depending on the condition of your car, I'd start with a full inspection of brakes, tires, steering, and suspension. After that I'd move on to checking the fuel system, all the hoses and belts, and change all the fluids.
That's the beauty of this one! Picked it up from a guy who restores classics, said he took care of all the mechanical stuff so he could daily it, I've probably driven it 10 or 12 hours so far. Not a hiccup. The engine purrs and the Trans is smooth, those drum brakes are something to get used to though haha.

Nice car. It is only origional once also. Amazing it has not been into. Welcome from PA!
Honestly! I'm really surprised. Thanks!!

Getting flashed while in your new whip? priceless.

Welcome!!
Truly haha it was around that moment that I decided that the only way anyone was getting this car from me was through my will lol.

72, one year only grill. Very good looking car.

I get flashed in my cars too, but only if I leave the brights on!

Welcome to the A-body world. You will enjoy it.

:welcome: from :canada:

Way cool, another green Dart with a white vinyl top, same as one of my 1970 Darts!
There are plenty of very knowledgeable people on this forum, always willing to help out.

-
Back