Pickup clearance

-
I generally use 5/16 to 3/8 for clearance on pretty much any motor. No problems so far.

If it's a stock pan and pickup the pickup MUST touch the bottom of the pan. That's zero clearance with the gasket and bolted down.

If it's not touching the floor of the pan it's too far away.

Interesting on the no gap, I'm gonna have to recheck mine, I know it's close, but I don't think it is touching. I'll get a chunk of clay and check.

This is an everyday mopar stock oil pick-up, the hood over the screen set the distance from screen to oil pan, the hood rests on the oil pan floor.

oil strainer.jpg

I ALMOST said to fold a piece of paper twice and use that, but then I realized this was about an oil pan pickup and not a distributor pickup. LOL

The way I do it on the oil pickup. I leave the pickup a little high and when I put the pan on I push the pickup down with the pan and bolt the pan on.

Interesting. I have never re-used a stock pickup. Makes sense that it's designed to be "self-spacing". Gotta love the knowledge in this forum!

If it's a stock pan and pickup the pickup MUST touch the bottom of the pan. That's zero clearance with the gasket and bolted down.

If it's not touching the floor of the pan it's too far away.

I knew this was coming, we`ve been thru it before. I`ll go with what Tom Hoover told me !
3/8'' on a drag engine, 1/4" on a hot street car.
That being said, I have at least 3/8" on a swinging pick up/single line system------

I knew this was coming, we`ve been thru it before. I`ll go with what Tom Hoover told me !
3/8'' on a drag engine, 1/4" on a hot street car.
That being said, I have at least 3/8" on a swinging pick up/single line system------

And thats NOT with a stock pick up. If he said that with a stock pick up, he was wrong.

A
And thats NOT with a stock pick up. If he said that with a stock pick up, he was wrong.
A stock st. hemi can pump a qt. a second at 6000 or above, the stock pick ups on them weren`t on the bottom of the pan, at leawst on the 2 I had. IF they were it would cause a vortex that would starve the system---------

-
Back