Pictures/diagrams of column shift linkage with SB 727

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I'm looking for diagrams or pictures for column shift linkages on a 71 a-body with a small block and 727 trans...

The ear on the trans for the bracket is higher on the 727 than on the 904. Does the bracket that bolts to that ear go on the bottom or top of the ear on the trans?

I found a diagram for the 904 trans set up in the 71 service manual, but they don't have any diagrams for the 727 trans in an a-body (Valiant or Duster).

Did they make a Duster with a 340/727 and column shift??? #-o

So any pictures and/or diagrams that you have on the linkages for a SB with 727 in an a-body would be appreciated. thanks.

on top I think,there is a groove for it to rest on/in. Can you get a pic of the top of the trans tab?

Here's pictures of the trans where the bracket goes. On the 727, it's practically behind the lug for the kickdown bracket which is just behind the top starter bolt hole.

On the 904 it's behind and a little below the lug for the kickdown bracket that is just behind the top starter bolt.

Here's a 727:

View attachment 727 A02 B2.jpg

Here's a 904:

View attachment 904 A02 B2.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the different brackets for the ear and post them in a bit... Stay tuned... :glasses7:

I think there was a thread called " help" in this section about a week ago
That should have some good info

krazykuda, here is link to my post from a few years back. I included a diagram for a column shift linkage on a 1971 Valiant with a small block and auto trans. Hope it helps.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146300&highlight=Transmission

Oh, BTW, my Duster is a factory 340/727 with column shift and bench seats.
Art

Thanks for th elink, but that's the diagram for the 904 set up. The bracket that goes to the trans is different for the 727.

Can you get some good pictures of the linkages on your car and how they fit together? That would help me figure this out. Does the bracket on the trans go on the top or bottom of the ear on the trans?

I think there was a thread called " help" in this section about a week ago
That should have some good info

That was my other thread before I figured out that some of the brackets are different between the 904 & 727...

just use the one that can be modified so it mounts the torque shaft level.
i filed and fitted a 904 bracket, and then mounted it below the trans boss on my last 727
column shifted Duster.
Hot rodding 1.1

Thanks for th elink, but that's the diagram for the 904 set up. The bracket that goes to the trans is different for the 727.

Can you get some good pictures of the linkages on your car and how they fit together? That would help me figure this out. Does the bracket on the trans go on the top or bottom of the ear on the trans?

A previous owner substituted a 318/904 into the car and kept the original 340 engine mounts. They jury rigged the engine to fit by moving the mount tabs to the wrong side of the ears. This resulted in the whole drive train to be out of proper orientation. They made a Mickey Mouse trans torque tube bracket out of scrap iron. The whole linkage assembly is not aligned properly.

I obtained the proper bracket and then learned about the difference between 318 and 340 driver side engine mounts before I tried to get the shifter linkage squared away. So I never tried to install the bracket.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I am in the process of pulling the 318/904 to be replaced by a 340/727 combo I bought.

It appears that if you mount the bracket on top of the ear, the bend in the bracket will put the torque tube lower than the ear and in line with the frame bracket.

-
Back