pictures of the convertible well installed

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of their 66 dart convertible well install?
I'm getting close to ordering the top and well liner and my 2 dart didn't come with one installed. I have the FSM but if's about as clear as mud giving me a place to mount and glue in the liner, the top I don't have a problem with, since I've done a few here and there. but I've never had to do a Well.

Some of the top stores online has some video of the install. I will look through my list and see what I got saved.
Jim

This is not an A-body, but the install will be similar. 1967 Fury III well liner. The top is fastened OUTSIDE the body on C-bodies. I think the A's install from INSIDE. Not sure of that though. The red arrows point to glued surfaces, while the yellow arrows and dots are "floating" points. The orange double arrow is the seat back. The blue arrows are where the strip caulk and metal fastening strips for the top are located. The 3-M #90 spray adhesive works really well here. Coat both surfaces, let it tack up for a few minutes and then adhere the liner to the metal. I did mine at home, took my time and had it all done within a couple hours. That's test fitting, tacking and final install. Hope this helps.

View attachment well liner w marks.jpg

View attachment liner behind seat w marks.jpg

View attachment liner wheel house w marks.jpg

This is not an A-body, but the install will be similar. 1967 Fury III well liner. The top is fastened OUTSIDE the body on C-bodies. I think the A's install from INSIDE. Not sure of that though. The red arrows point to glued surfaces, while the yellow arrows and dots are "floating" points. The orange double arrow is the seat back. The blue arrows are where the strip caulk and metal fastening strips for the top are located. The 3-M #90 spray adhesive works really well here. Coat both surfaces, let it tack up for a few minutes and then adhere the liner to the metal. I did mine at home, took my time and had it all done within a couple hours. That's test fitting, tacking and final install. Hope this helps.

Thanks. believe it or not the dart looks close to what you have. I have the metal tack strips that are showing in your picture on the outside and it was the inside mounting that had me really confused as to where it got glued and screwed to.

View attachment well liner 01.jpg
that was my main sticking point since the service manual didn't explain it very well. now that I have an idea (oh and gotta find those metal strips in the garage) and figure out a way to mount the front of the liner to the 97 sebring seat backs

thanks Again

It will glue to this metal brace, not the seat back itself. Nice work on your Dart!! That was a whole lot of rust repair!! Kudos!!

Attachments

• 65 dart w line.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 734
Oh, after looking back through your build thread, I see what you mean. You'll think of something!!

Oh, after looking back through your build thread, I see what you mean. You'll think of something!!

yup lotsa rust repair. I don't think that there was ANY panel that I didn't have to do something on, even if it was just removing a dent or 4. It was just going to be a parts car until(an old high school rival) someone said "hey I'll give ya 150 for scrap". I told him I was going to rebuild it and he bet me 1k that I couldn't do it. (you know you can get a lot of little parts for a grand) when I rolled it out on wheels the guy had to pay up. man was that a great feeling.

Actually I do have a slight edge to glue to in the cross piece, or I might just glue it straight up the side on the back seat back panel and cap it with a smooth piece of plastic to stop from rubbing the top. so it'll give me a cleaner look. I have to make a custom top boot anyway since the seat is taller and forward about an inch. my old boot was so shrunk I couldn't eve get it to fasten in the original place. I still have to purchase a top and weather stripping for the top but that's down the road.

On my 67 Dart the well liner (as near as I remember)is glued to the brace behind the seat, and has a plastic lip with snaps around the other 3 sides(or maybe just on the sides), the platic has deteriorated so all the snaps have pulled out, I eventually plan on taking it out and figuring out how to replaced the plastic strips, because I assume it is still the original as it is stamped with Dart, has a manufacturing plant and date.

Great project 66Dvert. I'm glad you saved it, especially since it's a convertible. A lot of guys would just junk a car in that condition and start with a more solid example. You've shown great dedication and perseverance taking on that one. It must feel great now that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! Great work. I'll be following your build.

Great project 66Dvert. I'm glad you saved it, especially since it's a convertible. A lot of guys would just junk a car in that condition and start with a more solid example. You've shown great dedication and perseverance taking on that one. It must feel great now that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! Great work. I'll be following your build.

Thanks. I was thinking about saving it even before the guy made a snarky comment, but that just made me more determined to save it but do it my way. actually the car didn't look to bad before I started to take it apart. It just snow balled when I did start removing the bondo. I'm getting excited about it now since I have the car down on it's wheels in 4 years(darn work get in the way or my hobby.) now that I'm officially retired I can do a little more on it as money allows.
I still have to rebuild the /6 driver motor and finish up the turbo setup of the Hydraulic motor that I'll be driving to the 2015 Woodward dream cruise
and get a million other things the car needs beforehand , like a top, carpet and all the seals. but I'm a loot closer than I was and feelin it!

got a question ? do you have a pic showing this area in detail?(red box) from the back of the car looking forward? how's that area mounted? or is it just free standing ?
View attachment well liner detail.jpg

These photos may be a little vague. I wasn't specifically trying to show that area when these photos were taken. The metal retaining bar, denoted by arrow 2 in the first photo, fastens the liner to the body in the area of question. The arrows in the second photo point to drain holes that channel water down to the bottom of the quarter panel. The arrow marked "2" in the second photo is resting on the cross brace in which the liner is glued. The last photo almost shows the area where it all meets up. I can get you a better photo of that area if these photos are not enough. Let me know if you need them.

Attachments

• well retaining bar.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 653
  • well drains.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 663
  • top retainers marked for boot snaps.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 678
These photos may be a little vague. I wasn't specifically trying to show that area when these photos were taken. The metal retaining bar, denoted by arrow 2 in the first photo, fastens the liner to the body in the area of question. The arrows in the second photo point to drain holes that channel water down to the bottom of the quarter panel. The arrow marked "2" in the second photo is resting on the cross brace in which the liner is glued. The last photo almost shows the area where it all meets up. I can get you a better photo of that area if these photos are not enough. Let me know if you need them.

Thanks!
the second pic was the one to help me figure out what and where I have to rework the well liner to work in mine. I've got a little more cutting and buffing to do to get the back half of the car ready for finish work but it's gettin closer!
do you have a drain hole in the lower portion of your quarter? is it in the wheel well/quarter seam? I just looked at mine and didn't see a drain hole to let the water out(that probably where the rust through came from) I'm thinking that I might drill through the bottom of the rocker into the quarter area and weld in a tube that will drain any water that get's in there or through the wheel well and into the quarter.

I'm leaning towards the wheel well tube option since I can shape the end of the tube to NOT pickup water splash from the wheels and to help siphon out the water in the quarter.

View attachment !quARTER drain.jpg

and here's where I'm at now
View attachment 0125131518a.jpg
seats are in and fitted electrical is mostly done, still have to wrap and make pretty.
View attachment 0124131909.jpg

and the well modification is getting finished. still have to hide the ends and the seatbelts, but mostly done!
View attachment 0125131525.jpg

That's looking real nice!! I think the water just runs down and out where the quarter panel pinch weld is located. I got caught in a downpour a couple years ago and didn't get any water in the car at all. I guess that means everything seals up properly.:cheers:

That's looking real nice!! I think the water just runs down and out where the quarter panel pinch weld is located. I got caught in a downpour a couple years ago and didn't get any water in the car at all. I guess that means everything seals up properly.:cheers:

ok sounds good to me . hmmm I welded up the darn pinch weld to the wheel wells. I might have to open it up a little bit to let the water go out.
didn't think about water getting OUT, just stopping water from coming IN. :banghead: I've got most of the car wet sanded to 2000 right now and am working on getting some 3000 trizact to finish up sanding. whew takes a bunch of work. I can't wait to start putting even more parts back on the car. I have tack strips similar to your car and it 9the pic's )showed me how to lock it down after I mark where the SS trim screws to. thanks again for the pictures it was a GREAT HELP in getting things lined up correctly.

-
Back