Pilot Bearing Solution

-

1975abody

Reaction score
When I swapped from an automatic to a 4 speed in my Duster, I found that the crank was not finished to size for a pilot bushing. That was around the time when the undersized bushings were becoming obsolete. I tried to find the the bushing that presses into the converter register, but those had become obsolete also. Against my better judgement I used the bearing style that presses into the register.

I now have the transmission out of the car again, and found that the input shaft was not liking the bearing, so my solution was to pull the bearing itself out of the housing, and replaced it with a true Oilite bushing.

I found the bushing at McMaster Carr for less than $4.00. It is 1.00" od x .75" id x .500" wide.

Put the bushing in the freezer, and drive it into the bearing housing with a light press fit.

I searched high and low with bearing distributors, Amazon EBay etc. it seems that the the B-287 is non existent.

Hope this helps someone.

9FE82CA1-AF62-4D88-BCE2-9785EF3AFCAE.jpeg

B2DCFD36-FE66-4E3B-AC15-DFF319A41D1A.jpeg

The bearing may have trouble if the Bellhousing is not aligned true with the crank. The dowel pins and offset dowels are how its done. The attached is a Keisler crank alignment procedure but works and is similar to all bellhousing alignments

Attachments

• bellhousing-crankshaftalignment.pdf
    153.7 KB · Views: 285
You gotta soak that baby in hot oil prior to installation. oillite, Interesting stuff.

I thought the accepted method was to stick it in a freezer then shove it in the crank register?

-
Back