Pin Hole In my J Head

-

daniel9843

Reaction score
Hi there i was just wondering if many have come across this problem. I have a set of J cast 360 heads with a pin prick size hole in the intake short turn, i am a bit worried about putting these heads on as the hole is on top of the coolant gallery.
I have been told to put some sort of chem weld in the cooling system on first start up as it will help seal, evidently the area is to thin to weld. i need these heads to get me around on the street and for a little bit of drag race use. Would i be silly to put these on and give them a try? cheers Daniel

This sounds like a job for Moroso ceramic seal.
I have had good luck with it over the years.
Epoxy might be another possibility.

If it's someplace you can reach with a drill bit, a taper pin would be the best fix.

Are you sure it goes to the cooling jacket? I'd pressure test the head and if it doesn't hold pressure then worry about a fix...

yeah that was under pressure test the slight leak was noticed. no body will weld it as its to thin in the area

If you can get it really clean, flow some brass over the porous spot then grind it back down. I'd rather braze it than use epoxy (not saying epoxy wont work).

I have a set of 2.02 j heads if needed or sure some 1 can come up with some
regular 1.88 js or a set of heads I also have 2.02 x heads you can drop on and run if you have a smaller cam there single spring right now 425for the js 450 for the Xs plus about 85 shipping .the js u got the exhaust valves just need to get some 2.02 intake valves. if you know some 1 with the tools to change out and use your rockers and springs for quik build or full build depends on you pocket book drll ,nail weld be best cheap way. I can help you step it up,or getting working heads, or get ready to step it up bigger for racing on the top end pm me for pics I"ll get them up by tommorro or weekend for any 1 else interested

too thin to weld? huh ive welded sheet metal with a flux core cant be thinner than that?

Personally - when I go through (and it's happened a couple times) I toss the head and start again. I'd rather not have pressurized fluid behind an epoxy repair like that because eventually the repair will fail - but it's just me. You could try the epoxy on it. I don't think ceramic sealers will work on a hole. I've used them (Moroso) with success for seaping type leaks. The problem will be you'll need to bring the repair back the that shape or that one port is wrecked anyway.

lol... Yeah - I know. But the rest of the parts to fix a block that has just hydrauliced because the repair failed is probably just or harder...

-
Back