[Found!] Pinion angle shims

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a fair sized city near? Here near Spokane, WA is a "spring and brake" place, and they sell those right off the shelf, along with spring clips, and they make U bolts to order

Do you have a fair sized city near? Here near Spokane, WA is a "spring and brake" place, and they sell those right off the shelf, along with spring clips, and they make U bolts to order
Bowling Green, Ky would be the closest decent sized city. I can always order some off eBay too but figured I’d see if someone here wants to offload some first.

I need to buy me some pinion angle shims and figured I’d try here first. Prefer 2* but could work with 1* or 2.5* as well.

Make sure the centering pin in the springs is long enough to locate the shim and backing plate. I've ordered steel shims from Speedway Motors before. Steel lasts longer than aluminum. I removed a set of aluminum 1 inch lowering blocks after several years of use. Corrosion was starting to occur on both clamped ends of the block, and I live where they never salt the roads.

Be sure to clean and wire brush/wheel your u-bolt threads. I use a light coat of Anti-Seize on them too. If the u-bolts are compromised in any way, replace them. Look for the longer nuts that come with them too. I always add grade 8 washers if I don't have the factory thick washers. Recheck the torque on them several times after installing and driving the car. Mine always take 3 or 4 retorqueing sessions until they hold the torque specs.

Unfortunately, all my Jeep buddies have moved on to newer jeeps, so they've got rid of all their leaf spring stuff. All the shims I have left are in the 4* to 10* range. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Unfortunately, all my Jeep buddies have moved on to newer jeeps, so they've got rid of all their leaf spring stuff. All the shims I have left are in the 4* to 10* range. Sorry I couldn't help you out.
That’s alright. Thanks for checking!

I still haven't found them yet I will let you know if I can they must be in storage because they wasnt with my car parts I have here. They are the aluminum ones you get at like advance or auto zone.

I still haven't found them yet I will let you know if I can they must be in storage because they wasnt with my car parts I have here. They are the aluminum ones you get at like advance or auto zone.
I hadn’t even thought to check local auto parts stores. I’ll have to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back