Pinion angle with Monoleafs and CalTracs

-

Catiska

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have Monoleafs and CalTracs on my Duster. Gearbox is TKO 600. On first full power launch i break my drive shaft rear u-joint. That happend when i powershift second gear in. U-joint was new and size 1350 (Whole power chain is brand new).

So, what would be correct pinion angle with Monoleafs and CalTracs? Gearbox is now about 2 degrees down.

7* down sounds quite hard for me. Together with gearbox angle it is 9 degrees.

The rear pinion angle should be set so that when you accelerate really hard the pinion angle should be the same as the drive train angle. When you accelerate the pinion rises up, if it rises too much (this depends on how "stiff" your rear springs are) it will cause problem. If it doesn't rise enough it will also cause problems. In other words, if your engine drive line is ZERO (perfectly level) you would want your pinion at ZERO when you're accelerating real hard. This aligns the front and rear U joint. You also have to make sure that the U joint phasing is correct??

If your drive line is 2 degrees down then your pinion should end up being 2 degrees down during "hard" acceleration..

driveshaft angle and phasing - - Yahoo Search Results

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

treblig

If your drive line is 2 degrees down then your pinion should end up being 2 degrees down during "hard" acceleration..

I think you mean pinion 2* up so they are parallel under acceleration.

Cal tracs like 2-4 down for pinion angle in most cases. If you are breaking 1350 u joints, something is getting pinched. We used to have a lot of issues with the fancy aluminum u-joint girdles moroso sold. Broke a bunch of u-joints with them.

Yes, 2 degrees up....but only under hard acceleration!! When the car is static the pinion angle should be pointed "down" relative to eng/trans angle. This drive shaft angle discussion can get very confusing depending on what terminology used, but in the end you want your eng/trans angle and pinion angle to be the same under hard acceleration as shown about halfway down in this article. The pinion will rise "up", the amount it rises will depend on your rear end suspension, 4 link, traction bars, leaf springs, mono leaf, etc.
Look about half way down in this article where it shows a pic of two drive lines with the eng/trans drive line 3 degrees down. The example shows how the pinion rises under acceleration and will change the pinion angle :

Pinion & U-Joint Angles

There are numerous websites with many, many examples of what the OP needs to know.

treblig

-
Back