Pinion Bearing Preload 8.75 - Fish Scale?

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I have heard you can test bearing preload with a fish scale. I would do it the proper way with a Dial inch pound torque wrench but I dont want to spend $200 on one. Anyone done it?

Where on God's green earth are you lookin at a 200 dollar inch pound torque wrench? Go to your local parts store and get a beam style one. They are cheap and work well.

Where on God's green earth are you lookin at a 200 dollar inch pound torque wrench? Go to your local parts store and get a beam style one. They are cheap and work well.
Stay off the Snap On truck! :rofl:

I dont live in the land of Harbour Freight and Walmart so yes Torque Wrenches are expensive. I looked for a beam style but no one seems to to do them anymore. So obviously no one has done it here with a fish scale.

I guess you could. A torque wrench is usually either in inch-pounds or foot-pounds. The force for 1 inch pound would be if you took a lever 1 inch long and applied a force of 1 pound to it at a 90 degree angle. 12 inch pounds is equal to 1 foot pound. The trick to using a fish scale, would be to always have the force at 90 degrees to the "arm" applying the force as you rotated it in a 360 degree circle.

-
Back