Piston Flip

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
*Correction

Howdy, gang.

Has anyone attempted the "Piston Flip" featured in *some YouTube videos*? If so, what are the benefits you've noticed from your personal project? Pros and cons? My Slant has 62k original miles and I would hate to blow the thing up. I'm simply looking for a little pep. I'll try a 2bbl setup first and then plan accordingly with the "flip" if I desire a little more.

Thanks for the word.

Last edited:
Tony DeFeo, aka Uncle Tony, was/is a member here under the name white punk on nitro. You should be able to find his posts and read them.
His you tube videos, including the piston flip, have been discussed at length on this forum, and probably others. A little searching, and you'll find a lot of interesting discussion about his videos.

You will find lot of good info on FABO and Slantsix.org on slants!

Lots if different opinions of UTG. I say he knows lots of chit, but sometimes Hollywood gets in his way!!? :rofl::steering::confederateflag::BangHead:

I got a call a couple days ago from a gentleman in Illinois who was trying to find his phone number. Apparently the info given out in a recent video about lithium batteries in a fire wasn't exactly accurate to the tune of "Don't try this at home folks," but without that warning attached. I didn't have Tony's number but suggested finding his wife Kathy on FaceBook -- she is quick to respond to messages.
She's a sweetie and hottie, too. I like Kathy. They are both good people.

Howdy, gang.

I've been watching quite a few of his videos with a grain of salt in mind. I am certainly not a professional mechanic, but rather a hobbyist at best. Some of his videos have good information to someone who needs a visual. Like a child with a comic book in hand watching Justice League, I watch his videos trying my best to decipher his explanations with the help of my manual. The question is, should I use him as a safe and reliable source? The video that made me question was the ol' "/6 piston flip," he is known for promoting. Worth a shot? Or no?

*Uncle Tony, if you're here, no offense given. Just looking out for my ride. Pleasure to have you on the thread!*
Sounds to me as if you're trying to stir up already muddy water.

Not exactly a lot of "love" for Uncle Tony on here.
But l think he is at least entertaining.

But it might be the Yankee in us.

probably more accurate to say there is a very passionate few that are devout haters and won't just leave well enough alone.

Sounds to me as if you're trying to stir up already muddy water.
Merely an innocent newcomer in the midst of old bad blood. If I could delete the thread, I would. Sorry, gang.

:drama:
Merely an innocent newcomer in the midst of old bad blood. If I could delete the thread, I would. Sorry, gang.
Lol! In the midst of the avalanche of idiocy going on in this otherwise wonderful Republic, this would rank around the bottom to infinity of the things to get wrankled about.....

Here's an idea, the OP said he'd delete it if he could. Sounds like he could use some assistance from the site staff to delete the thread before things get stupid again... oh wait...

I've tailored the topic and thread opening to a more appealing façade. Hopefully this'll line out the intent behind my original message.

Not exactly a lot of "love" for Uncle Tony on here.
But l think he is at least entertaining.

But it might be the Yankee in us.

Uncle Tony is a transplanted Yank actually. imo it i usually the overly informed and knowledgable gear heads that are the first to disclaim any of Uncle Tonys advice and vid entertainment!! :thumbsup::confederateflag::wtf:

:drama:
Lol! In the midst of the avalanche of idiocy going on in this otherwise wonderful Republic, this would rank around the bottom to infinity of the things to get wrankled about.....
:rofl::rofl:Why are you wrankled about others getting wrankled.

I think the piston slap would tick me off from start up vs the actual gains. Put a two barrel, mill the head and post, swap the camshaft, some headers, some 3.55 gears would probably better than pistion flipping

The whole piston flip thing was tested by richard holdner, at westec performance, there was zero measurable gain, so dont listen to old wives tales. Like was suggested, a slant responds to compression, intake and exhaust improvements, and the normal "hop up" steps

I think the piston slap would tick me off from start up vs the actual gains. Put a two barrel, mill the head and post, swap the camshaft, some headers, some 3.55 gears would probably better than pistion flipping

In terms of cams, do you have a recommendation?

Only factory pistons had offset pins. Will only work on flat top pistons or the quench pads, humps will be in the wrong place and the valves won't like that.

Reversing the pistons.
I doubt the slant could reach high enough rpms for the butt-meter to feel a difference.
Mill the head for a little more compression. Easier to do, feel the improvement.

Reversing the pistons.
I doubt the slant could reach high enough rpms for the butt-meter to feel a difference.
Mill the head for a little more compression. Easier to do, feel the improvement.

This seems to be the most practical answer. I may look into getting it professionally done. Has anyone done this in the thread? If so, how much did it run you? I’m in Southeast Texas and we only have garage-mechanics, most of whom I do not know. Also, most have limited capabilities. If there’s a recommendation out there, I’m all ears! Thanks!

This seems to be the most practical answer. I may look into getting it professionally done. Has anyone done this in the thread? If so, how much did it run you? I’m in Southeast Texas and we only have garage-mechanics, most of whom I do not know. Also, most have limited capabilities. If there’s a recommendation out there, I’m all ears! Thanks!
Reversing the pistons was a friction reducing trick for class racing where one was routinely using stock slugs, it's not solely a function of rpm. But when UT talks about the tall deck rod angle issue at lower rpm's, flipping the slugs makes that worse actually, best policy is leave them be.
Gotta be reputable speedshops or machine shops down there somewhere, no leads from anybody at cruises etc.?

And there is thread after thread on this in this forum, spend a little time searching, tons of info already there for the reading.....

And there is thread after thread on this in this forum, spend a little time searching, tons of info already there for the reading.....

Only a hand-full of reliable shops in the area. Unfortunately, they are out of my budget although they clear a good name for themselves. My work schedule limits my capabilities to make shows/cruises around the area, but I may have to drive a few minutes on a Saturday off to the local track and put some feelers out.

I just found the “search” tab on this thing. I’m not as tech savvy as I would like to be. Lol Thanks for the reply!

-
Back