Piston question

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Everything I have read says that a heavy piston is a good choice in a blown engine. The theory is that the heavy piston helps absorb the shock of the explosion.

If this is the case, would a TRW L2385F piston be a good choice?

I am asking because I can get a new set of these at what I call a reasonable price. These pistons should put me in the 8.5 to 1 static compression range and with a thicker cometic head gasket I should get close to the desired 8.0 to 1.

Jack

I know they are a weel biult piston and should take what ever you throw at them. I know they worked good with a 350 shot of NOS with no trouble.I would use them if I were biulding a blower motor...Im shour there is sumone on here that will know more then me about it...Artie

I've seen them live just fine using cheapo cast pistons so I ain't sure about that theory. I think the most important thing is not running the engine lean. That is what kills a cast piston. I suspect a forged one, heavy or not, would be just fine. But that's just my unejeekated opinion.

Forged Aluminum is what you need! Don't skimp on your slugs, it could be catastrophic if you detonate. If you use cast you are asking for trouble. I would also look into thermal coatings. I used a D.I.Y. coating from Techline. Not sure what engine you are using but there are several sets on ebay at reasonable cost.

Forged Aluminum is what you need! Don't skimp on your slugs, it could be catastrophic if you detonate.

2.2 pistons are cast, they hold up fairly well to modest detonation. Even forged will break if rattled hard enough. Warning- Stay far away from hyperutectic pistons if running forced induction. If running a low buck forced induction application the factory cast slugs will do, when in doubt check the Dakota forums where guys have been running them for years with blowers. The tune is everything, I ran in excess of 30 psi on cast factory pistons. Proper fuel ratio is always a must along with proper spark advance/retard. Edit- I would stay away from heavy pistons, they place excessive stress on the pins and rods. There is no shortage of stout forged slugs that are light and strong, much better than the old TRW pieces.

Call Ross Racing Pistons and order yourself up some forged aluminum piston. Great quality, and super light which will make your engine rev even faster.

-
Back