Piston ring gap

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
Putting together the slant and need info on piston ring gap. Suggestions please, thanks, Steve.

Stock after market .030 over.

1FFB608E-1C62-48B4-98C9-C9D6B636669C.jpeg

What will you be doing with the engine and how is it going to be built?

General rule of thumb is 0.004" for every 1" of cylinder bore diameter for na engines. I have found on the last few builds that the rings I bought (Hastings) put you in this range right out of the box but check them.

General rule of thumb is 0.004" for every 1" of cylinder bore diameter for na engines. I have found on the last few builds that the rings I bought (Hastings) put you in this range right out of the box but check them.
As long as the pistons aren't Hyperutectic (these aren't) that's a decent range as long as theres no super hard use....

Thanks for the info. Just finished installing the rings. Gapped the top at 15 and the second at 17-18. Actually lucked out and got all rings on without breaking any. Haven’t always been that lucky! This engine is for my A100 pickup. Probably won’t see more than occasional usage. Surely won’t be a heavy hauler!

That's puts them a little tight for my liking. That's only like a tic over .013". If it's in a truck hauling loads, or in a hot rod with higher than stock compression and all the other goodies, IMO it needs a good bit more. That's why I asked what he was doing with it.

Agree with RRR, that is a bit tight. Far more power will be lost by ring ends butting together [ too tight] than will be lost by gaps 0.005" too big.

From the Hastings website...
table.png

Bore size is 3.42 x .004 = .0136..... I'd say .015 is fine..

-
Back