Piston Ring Myths Article Interesting Read

-

Duane

Reaction score
I found this online. Thought I would share.

image.png

image.png

image.png

That was my take on the article. Though I always believed the rotating ring theory and that they were always in motion,I didn't know about the ring gaps. Thou I have ran some larger than normally accepted end gaps without any problems in the past.

And this is partially why low-tension rings last so long

Up the compression to 12 to 1 then take the blow by reading ,I have seen .030 over rings installed on .040 pistons and there was excessive blow by .also I work on cat engines 3116 they all have excessive blow by and seal leaks now I know why.

Somethings I just don't believe, Rings rotate? I have have the same 340 for 30 years drag raced it street raced it cruised it and every so often I take it apart just to check it out the rings are always in the same place. I have a way that I install them and always do it the same on all the engines I build, also when I worked for a dealer in the 90's I had a new HD3500 454 fouling plugs weekly so down it came and big as **** all the rings were lined up! they wouldn't let me put a new motor in it so I had to rotate the rings and put it back together, and it paid 10hrs warranty time. Ya that was a money maker!

Up the compression to 12 to 1 then take the blow by reading ,I have seen .030 over rings installed on .040 pistons and there was excessive blow by .also I work on cat engines 3116 they all have excessive blow by and seal leaks now I know why.[/QUOTE

I recently saw one of those auto programs with that Stacy guy with a guest on the show who was a diesel engineer. He claimed that one of the reasons a Diesel engine will run so long after the rings have worn is that the compression ratio on a diesel being so high actually forces the rings against the cylinder wall forcing a seal.
Could it be ?

Somethings I just don't believe, Rings rotate? I have have the same 340 for 30 years drag raced it street raced it cruised it and every so often I take it apart just to check it out the rings are always in the same place. I have a way that I install them and always do it the same on all the engines I build, also when I worked for a dealer in the 90's I had a new HD3500 454 fouling plugs weekly so down it came and big as **** all the rings were lined up! they wouldn't let me put a new motor in it so I had to rotate the rings and put it back together, and it paid 10hrs warranty time. Ya that was a money maker!

All rings rotate. If they didn't, they wouldn't use a pin to stop the ring from turning on 2 strokes.

Most of that article was so bad I couldn't read it.

-
Back