Pitman and idler arm issues

-

Arend Huisman

Reaction score
Hi there,

My mechanic mounted a Ford T9 gearbox (5-speed) in my '64 Dart with V8. And all goes well except for one thing. The rear end of the engine sits a tiny bit lower than usual and now the steering link hits the starter motor just a bit. We tried to lengthen the Pitman and idler arm but the Pitman broke in the first attempt to steer. So we need a new set and if possible 3/4 of an inch longer. Any ideas?

Arend Huisman

I would shim the transmission mount. Doesn't really matter though since that transmission will be in pieces not too terribly long after you get it running. That's a Mercury Capri transmission designed to go behind the 2.8L V6. Good luck with that.

I would shim the transmission mount. Doesn't really matter though since that transmission will be in pieces not too terribly long after you get it running. That's a Mercury Capri transmission designed to go behind the 2.8L V6. Good luck with that.
I don't intend to use all the power i have, just cruising around. Thanks for your advice!

If the angles aren't correct, plan on saving money to have the rear end rebuilt, frequent ujoint replacement and whatever additional problems that will arise from your mechanics decision.

Did the pitman arm break at the weld? how about heating and bending a new one? or finding a longer one heating and bending it or a v8 one etc. it sounds like youll be playing around to see what works. What about a retrofit to rack and pinion?

-
Back