Pitman arm is hitting tortion bar! Help?

-

73moparman

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster with a 340, 727 transmission. It has new pitmar arm, new idler arm, v8 tortion bars. The problem i am having is the pitman arm is rubbing on the tortion bar, in turn i cant turn down the tortion bars to lower the car to make it handle better. Any ideas what could be wrong with it or how to fix it?
Thanks, Brandon

Changing the ride height has nothing to do with the pitman arm hitting the torsion bar as they stay the same in relation to each other regardless of ride height. As for the pitman hitting the torsion bar, could be one of 2 things. Most likely the wrong pitman arm. Or it could be that its cheap chinese junk that the blind splines are machined wrong so its off and going to far to one side. I would go with the wrong arm. I had to go thru 3 before I found the correct one even though they were marked with the correct part number. Have you still got the old one to compare it to?

Thanks for the input. I just put a brand new moog pitman arm on and it still hits..its almost like the k frame is bent or the the steering box is mounted in the wrong spot but everything looks right...

Is that the pitman arm i should buy? The one from summit, it looks like it doesnt have any drop in it?

Is that the pitman arm i should buy and try putting on my car? It looks like it doesnt have any drop to it?

Hi Tony, I ordered a brand new moog pitman arm for a 1973 plymouth duster and it was exactly the same one that i have on my car now..

look at the splines on the steering box....is the pitman arm all the way up the splines?

Yes pitman arm is all the way on up the splines and tightened up tight. I need the whole system to drop down. The tie rod on the drivers is even at angle..not straight across like it should be. I think it has a six cylinder k member on it but im not really sure..it was originally a slant 6 car. Would that be a problem?

Its like the steering sector shaft isnt long enough or isnt down far enough to drop the pitman arm down to where it needs to be..

Yeah i dont really know either. I cant figure it out :/. Should i try flipping that tie rod end around and putting the bolt through the bottom?

I thought that those center link bars were tappered..so the more you tighten up that castle nut the tighter it got but i dont really know i guess.

Okay. It previously was a slant six car. Is there any way you can tell if it is a v-8 or a slant six K frame. I bought a brand new pitman arm for a 1973 Duster and it was exactly the same as mine so i know thats not it..

yeah ever since i bought it i have had this problem. I bought it from the guy and he said it just needed to be aligned..but obviously there is something more wrong than that with it.

yeah ever since i bought it i have had this problem. I bought it from the guy and he said it just needed to be aligned..but obviously there is something more wrong than that with it.

Then your replacing the wrong part with another identical wrong part wouldn't fix the problem. Let me see if I can find a picture I had when I was first looking. BRB

Alright thank you for helping me. Im 20 years old and cant figure out a thing..it seems like i have tried everything.

hade about the same problem except it was the idler arm
was hiting the headers and it didnt with the old one

light the torche and I bend it a little
I know I aint suppose to but it really work great
and yes it was a moog

-
Back