Pitman Arm Question?

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I am building a 1974 duster and doing a Manual Steering Swap on it. I bough a rebuilt Manual Steering Box a long time ago at a swap Meet and finally getting around to using it on this build.

My Issue is I am having a very hard time finding a Pitman Arm that fits the output shaft. I have tried a Moog K7074 (For 70-72 Dusters) and a Moog K7075 (For 73-76 Dusters) Both just a bit too small to fit on. And a Moog K7076 Which is way too big.

Someone told me I may have ended up with a B-Van or C Body Steering Box. Anyone know how I can Check to verify? And also is there a Pitman Arm Available that would work with this Box and an A Body?

The measurement across the Big Splines on the output shaft is 1 1/8 in.

Just checking, but is it lined up with the key spline on the steering box shaft?
Clean all if any paint off, small brass tooth brush and brake cleaner works.
Then lightly grease.

I can check the output spline diameter later this evening when I am up in the garage on a known car box.

From another thread.
There is big and small, short and long shaft, bearing and bushing boxes etc.. here are the part numbers

IMG_0301.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
For future reference, '73+ pitman & idler arms have the stud pointed down in the center/drag link. '72 & earlier, the stud points up.

Unless you or a previous owner changed the k-member/steering parts, '72 & earlier shouldn't even be considered.

Just checking, but is it lined up with the key spline on the steering box shaft?
Clean all if any paint off, small brass tooth brush and brake cleaner works.
Then lightly grease.

Yep. Checked that many times.

The output shaft is
Post a picture of the box and a part number.

Here is the Steering Box. Only Number I could find on it was stamped B0830H

Output shaft measures 1 1/8 Inch across the large Splines.
Both K7074 and K7075 Pittman Arm hole Measures 1 3/64 (Just under 1 1/16) across the large splines.

With the splines lined perfectly, It will not fit as the hole is smaller than the smallest part of the shaft. The hole is 1/16" smaller than the smallest part of the shaft.

I do hope I am missing something simple but I have bought 3 pitman arms (7074, 7075 and 7076) now all 3 will not fit.

IMG_20200325_121347.jpg
IMG_20200325_121359.jpg
IMG_20200325_121317.jpg
IMG_20200325_120054.jpg
IMG_20200325_120317.jpg

Last edited:
For future reference, '73+ pitman & idler arms have the stud pointed down in the center/drag link. '72 & earlier, the stud points up.

Unless you or a previous owner changed the k-member/steering parts, '72 & earlier shouldn't even be considered.
The way I was able to remember which is which is by remembering “early up in the morning” Hey it works for me.

-
Back