Pitman arm stuck to steering gear

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Hey guy's I bought a manual steering box from a member on another site and the pitman arm splines are rusted to the splines on the steering box. I soaked it all day with PB Blaster and I can't get the thing to budge with a puller. I cranked on the puller so hard that it started to press into the metal at the end of the shaft and the arm still didn't move at all. Do you guys have any suggestions? I know you can't hit it with a hammer and I'm guessing you can't apply too much heat to it. I just don't know where to go from here.

Any chance you have an air hammer....rattle it with that

put puller on and tighten. With puller tight smack side of pitman arm. Should come off.

X2. You have to hit the side of the pitman arm with a good size hammer. It would help if the center link end was braced against something large and heavy that won't move like the base of a lift. Might take a few hard whacks but it will come off.

I have the box out of the car and in my vise. I tried the air chisel to no avail and I tried whacking it with a hammer and that didn't work either. I tightened it as much as I could and I'm leaving it like that all day at work while soaking in PB. I'm going to hit it with a hammer a few more times when I get home to see if that helps. Does anyone have any other tricks if this doesnt work?

Mine was out of the car too. Did you torque the puller crazy tight with a breaker bar? I loaded up my puller as tight as I could with a bar, sprayed a bit of PB. tried torquing it a little more every few minutes. She popped off after few minutes.

Pat

Thanks guys, after sitting torqued all day it came off when I got home and whacked it with a hammer!

-
Back