Pitted roof from rust under vinyl top repair

-
For rust pits on a vinyl top car's roof and prepare for a new vinyl top, at first Remove the existing top, clean rust, apply rust converter, fill pits with metal filler, sand and smooth the surface, apply epoxy primer, install the new vinyl top, use sealant to prevent water infiltration, and optionally, use lead filler for seamless edges.
For Epoxy Primer Over Etch Primer this article is very informative and helpfull-
Epoxy Primer Over Etch Primer: Will It Work Well?

For rust pits on a vinyl top car's roof and prepare for a new vinyl top, at first Remove the existing top, clean rust, apply rust converter, fill pits with metal filler, sand and smooth the surface, apply epoxy primer, install the new vinyl top, use sealant to prevent water infiltration, and optionally, use lead filler for seamless edges.
For Epoxy Primer Over Etch Primer this article is very informative and helpfull-
Epoxy Primer Over Etch Primer: Will It Work Well?
Here is my take on this. PLEASE!! ALWAYS read the tech sheet (always to be found in that co. info on the puter, NOT on the darn can) for all primers and paints you will be using. Chemistry varies from company to company. For instance the tech sheet for Southern Polyurethanes co. will tell you to NEVER use their epoxy primer over any self etch primer. They will also TELL you to sue Ospho (phosphoric acid solutionto clean rsuty metal) if you wish, good product BUT always do the neutralize procedure with it or YOU may vary well have problems with their epoxy on such treated metal arise at some later date/.

OK damn I thought that was UT for a minute. I did not watch his entire vid.
Yes vinegar attacks rust, slowly. Maybe great for a slow week long soak in a small vat for some things.
Muratic acid kills rust, and you can also have NO metal left. I would NEVER use it myself but what do I know. I have used it in a making handmade bits/spurs over the decades. That ain't the same deal as sheetmetal. Hate the stuff.
Molasses attacks rust.

Mom always said, "Just because you can, does not always men you should." :BangHead: :poke: :steering:

As I understand it and going through it on my car, yes treat the rust however if you have pin holes or large areas where the metal is thin, re skin the roof. My car was treated where it was pitted then epoxy primer, then filler etc. has been that way for years I'm getting ready for the last coat of 2K then a sealer and paint so far so good...car has been garage kept since 1993. I believe I used a hand sand blaster then used Rust Mort but evaporust also works its a light acid like vinegar. I also hand sand blasted all welds on the car as wess as welds like to rust.

The guy in the video is "My Friend Pete" he cusses and swears and pisses and moans but he does great body/resto work. He's one guy and he's getting old he isn't fast as lightning but good.

I'd use a chemical rust stripper and then Ospho afterward just to be safe. I think a wire wheel or blasting would blast right through that. That roof is done. I also can't tell if it's just an illusion or what but it looks like there's fairly large holes on the driver side as you get closer to the drip rail.

Yeah it's not the right way or the best way to do it but I wouldn't put a roof skin on a drag car either. Some things just aren't cost effective.

Many ways to skin a cat... who knows maybe after I put my vinyl top on the filler will crumble out...you don't know till you end up there. :)

I would assess how thin the overall roof skin is, on mine it was in the sail panels or c pillars etc. If the roof is 50% rust and thin Id reskin the thing is really how much skim coat will be in there to basically crumble apart later I'm thinking...

Vinyl tops became popular to give that "sort convertible top" look, make more $$$, and IF the car manu. did not prime/paint the roof, well that is NOT good! Especially a few decades later after it has sat outside for years.

Vinyl tops became popular to give that "sort convertible top" look, make more $$$, and IF the car manu. did not prime/paint the roof, well that is NOT good! Especially a few decades later after it has sat outside for years.
Yup!

Sometimes cheaper to just to put vinyl over steel to hide imperfections.

Look at the Challenger SE models with the opera window insert and of course , the Superbird!

-
Back