Placement of the Shutoff switch

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any early A body guys out there. looking for the best place to mount a shutoff switch and charging posts on my 64 Dart. Pictures would help, Thanks

It has to be easily accessible. Right hand corner for me.
c0bc35a0.jpg

I think there is a spec for it in the rule books. Like Len said. It has to be clearly visible no matter the car's orientation (like upside down or on it's side). And it has to be clearly labeled with on and off, push for off, etc. Charging lugs are usually down low in the back. just not right behind the tires...lol.

Unless you have a rear licence plate, that area would be a good spot.

On my Dart Sport, I installed a push/pull lever to an on/off switch securely mounted inside the trunk. The shaft comes out between the bumper and passenger side taillights. Had a friend make a pentastar knob for the end of it. My battery lugs are mounted on an L-bracket off the bottom of the bumper.

The pic is old and I have since relocated the the stuff because I installed the panel between the taillight bezels.

Here's mine. Battery switch is by Flaming River with the rod. Much smaller hole for the rod that way if you ever want to take it out. It's kinda hard to see the handle it's below the bumper bolt. To the right of the plate.

car stuffa.jpg

There was a Duster with that same location at Pink's. I also saw one through the middle license plate. I drilled a hole in my Darts bumper.

You should have the same spot on your bumper that the license plate light would go. I took advantage of that and fabricated a little bracket for my on off switch. The switch is a bitchen little design by Flaming River, it's a push off twist on. Very small and efficient, take a look. I can't run the license plate light, but I don't care, it's better than drilling holes in my car is what I thought.

Good Luck!

PICT0092 (Small).JPG

-
Back