Plastic Door panel repairs

-

Shmaako

Reaction score
The door panels on convertibles apparently are prone to warping and cracking due to the sun beating down on them and I figured I'd post my little repair job.
20200104_152331.jpg
Door Panel (1) (9).jpg

Didn't take long to heat up on low with a heat gun and I simply clamped the warped edge between two small lengths of wood and let cool...
Door Panel (1) (8).jpg

straightened out good enough to nicely fit into the chrome edge molding by the window felt.
Using JB Weld i managed to repair the cracks front and back of the panel. Stuff works great. I drilled a small hole at the end of each crack to stop them from spreading and filled them with the JB weld.
Door Panel (1) (10).jpg

Door Panel (1) (3).jpg

One of the panels was missing a piece I had to try and fabricate with a small piece of sheet metal.
Door Panel (1) (12).jpg
Door Panel (1) (16).jpg

JB Welded it on holding in place with small clamps and once dried, I used some 'Bumper Bondo' I picked up from Canadian Tire and went over the whole panel to get it straight as I can. Getting something that works on bumpers is best as it remains a little flexible whereas regular bondo/glaze would work but may crack pretty easy.
Door Panel (1) (17).jpg

Door Panel (1) (7).jpg

Door Panel (1) (14).jpg

Door Panel (1) (15).jpg
The bondo sanded well and after getting it down to some 400 grit ...
Door Panel (1) (18).jpg
I painted with some plastic trim paint I picked up at an autobody wholesale place. It didn't even need to use a prep spray for the plastic to accept the paint as this stuff, although expensive, had the prep chemicals already in it.
Door Panel (1) (21).jpg

I was fairly happy with the results.
Door Panel (1) (20).jpg

-
Back