Plastic glove box liner

-
Interesting. Nice to finally see an ABS reproduction, but I'm curious how you're supposed to install it. The factory cardboard liners are very flexible, so you just flex them a bit to install.

The factory plastic liners had a seam down the middle and slotted sides where you could fold them partially down, so the insert would slide in and then you could open them back up. The reproduction looks like the factory cardboard liner, but will probably be quite a bit stiffer, so, installation might be entertaining.

Seems like there's a lot of the plastic liners out there anyway, I think the factory started doing them that way in '73? I've collected a few at the local yards from the '73+ cars.

Here's the stock one. Not my picture.

attachment.php

***Edit: Nevermind, just watched their video. Looks like they downsized the liner slightly so it would slide in.***

My 74 duster still has the cardboard one. I tried using a plastic one from a 76 duster and it would not fit. The dash frame was different if I recall. So I abandoned that and used a cardboard repo.

My 74 duster still has the cardboard one. I tried using a plastic one from a 76 duster and it would not fit. The dash frame was different if I recall. So I abandoned that and used a cardboard repo.

All the glove boxes/dash openings are the same. The plastic ones are a little tricky to install, you have to fold them so the outside edges completely overlap (hence the fold line). Then they still take a bit of maneuvering and a lot of patience.

I'm not sure what my '74 Duster had originally but it was missing (so probably cardboard). It has one of the OE plastic ones installed now. :D

All the glove boxes/dash openings are the same. The plastic ones are a little tricky to install, you have to fold them so the outside edges completely overlap (hence the fold line). Then they still take a bit of maneuvering and a lot of patience.

I'm not sure what my '74 Duster had originally but it was missing (so probably cardboard). It has one of the OE plastic ones installed now. :D

Are you a 100% sure on this? as I remember some of the holes did not line even line up as well as some clearance to the hinge or something. I was able to get it in but there were some differences to make it not worth the hassle to switch over. I was surprised when I found this out as well. I assumed it would work. My memory is a little fuzzy on this was about 5 years ago I tried it.

Are you a 100% sure on this? as I remember some of the holes did not line even line up as well as some clearance to the hinge or something. I was able to get it in but there were some differences to make it not worth the hassle to switch over. I was surprised when I found this out as well. I assumed it would work. My memory is a little fuzzy on this was about 5 years ago I tried it.

I have learned not use the phrase "100% sure" where factory mopar parts are concerned. ;)

But I will say that I have 5 of the OE plastic liners that I have collected from various cars at the local PickNPulls. I can't recall if one of them is out of a '76. All 5 are identical, and I know for certain they are not all from the same year, or even model, car. One of them is currently installed in my '74 Duster, that I'm 100% sure of.

The only A-body glove box doors/frames that I'm aware of having differences are the '67 models that have sliding hinges. And since I happen to have one laying around, I just checked it vs one of the plastic liners I have. It would fit with a small amount of trimming, because there's a lip on the plastic liner that the cardboard version doesn't have that would hit the sliding hinge. But if that area was trimmed the liner would fit.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove everything to install the OE plastic liner. Glove box latch, glove box door, all of it. It's a PITA, but it works.

No, the dash frame changed in December 1973, corresponding with the introduction of the plastic glovebox liner early in the '74 model year. So yes it is possible to have an EARLY '74 with a cardboard liner...I had one in a '74 Valiant made 9/73.

Since I have two '73's, I took pictures of the differences in mounting between the two, illustrating why you can't interchange one for the other.

In the first picture you see the cardboard liner arrangement. Note the outermost screw, which threads into a metal insert made into the liner.

In the second picture, you can see the same area on the plastic liner, and note that the position of the screw has changed in relation to the floor of the liner.Also, the plastic liners depend on the metal dash to retain the screws instead of an integral metal tab.Incidently, all the other screw holes appear to be in the same positions other than the bottom two.

In the last pic, you can see the '74/75 black version alongside the '76 white plastic version. The part number for the black liner is 3590655 and the white version carries a part number of 3590868.

So, if you have a cardboard liner from the factor you are likely stuck with it unless you come up with a way to address the bottom bolts.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 590
  • 010.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 011.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 563
So I'm not crazy then, lol. I will check my build date on my 74 duster with the cardboard liner. I do have a 75 dartsport and had a 76 dartsport and they did have the plastic liners

Hmmmm seems like i need to ditch my 5hitty retrosound radio, install the factory motorolla back in the dash, then pick up one of those plastic liners and get me a nice alpine head unit to mount in there

Mine has a may 22 build date. Built at the
Jefferson Avenue, MI plant. With a cardboard liner

The glove box opening on my '74 Duster is identical to the one on my '71 Dart. My Duster has a build date of 6/04/74.

And they both have plastic liners installed in them now. :D

The glove box opening on my '74 Duster is identical to the one on my '71 Dart. My Duster has a build date of 6/04/74.

And they both have plastic liners installed in them now. :D

I don't know what to tell you then, other than the pics show the obvious differences. Did it originally have a plastic liner or cardboard? I would guess that a pic of both of those glovebox openings would be revealing.

I don't know what to tell you then, other than the pics show the obvious differences. Did it originally have a plastic liner or cardboard? I would guess that a pic of both of those glovebox openings would be revealing.

Probably cardboard on the '74. There wasn't much of anything left. But like I said, it's the same as the '71. Nothing to screw a liner to, just like the '71. Only difference is the style of the glove box hook. When I'm not on my phone I'll post you some beautiful pictures of how the '71 Dart and '74 duster have identical openings, and how I have plastic liners in both of them. All you need is a handful of screw clips.

I've got the Apipco glove box in my 74 Duster. Fits perfectly. Followed their video to install. No issues.

Here you go, all the pictures I promised.

This is my '71 Dart...

IMG_3093_zpsymxoiwam.jpg

This is my '74 Duster. You can see that they have the exact same opening and mounting flanges. Both originally had cardboard liners (I confirmed this for my Duster).

IMG_3106_zpsi4mcx03d.jpg

All you really need to mount the plastic insert is some of these. The plastic liner just slides in from the front, you obviously have to remove the glove box cable.

IMG_3096_zps9nc4h9ky.jpg

Add the screw inserts to the mounting holes where the cardboard liner was. At least the two on the top and one on each side. You can ignore the two on the lower flange.

This is on the '71
IMG_3100_zpsrflyw93d.jpg

And slide the insert in, and voila! Again, this is the '71. Nothing else needs to be done, the glove box insert sits on the lip of the glove box opening and is rigid enough to use just like this without the lower mounts attached.

IMG_3101_zpsnvyp2shs.jpg

Now, in the picture above you can actually see that the lower two mounts on the plastic liner line up with the holes in the lower flange, but the plastic liner is angled and the flange is flat. If you don't mind making one small modification, this is easy to fix.

Stock mounting flange (this is the '74 Duster now)
IMG_3109_zpstmetn4bu.jpg

One quick cut with a die grinder later (tin snips won't fit far enough into the dash to make the cut)
IMG_3111_zpswnxr83mf.jpg

And a quick bend and the screw inserts (this is the '74)
IMG_3113_zpsemvmgq4i.jpg

And slide the liner in, and now you can use all of the mounting locations on the plastic insert. You can see the lower ones have screws installed in the picture, as well as the ones on the sides and top. And yes, that's my antenna. I filled the hole on my fender. And yes, it actually works like that.

IMG_3116_zps5idacufz.jpg

You can use the plastic insert on the earlier cars without any modifications as long as you leave the lower two mounting screws out. The plastic glove box liner is plenty rigid enough without them, and is supported by the lip and held in place by the upper and side mounts. So, if you have a car you really don't want to cut, you can still use the plastic liner. If you don't care, you can make the small cuts on the lower flange and fold the "tabs" up to match up with the lower holes on the liner. On my '74 I've already cut so many things in the dash (to fit a rallye cluster) it really didn't matter. And, if I had been slightly less overzealous with the cut, you wouldn't even see it with the glove both open. As it was I made the cut about an 1/8" too long, so you can see part of the cut past the glove box liner.

The '75+ cars may have had angled flanges, but it really doesn't matter.

Anyone know if there is enough room behind there to install a aftermarket radio in the plastic liner?

You can install a radio into the glove box, but you have to put the face of the radio just behind the glove box door and cut a hole in the plastic liner for the radio to pass through. There's enough room behind the dash, but the plastic liner itself isn't deep enough.

Hmmmm enough room begind there to mount the radio flush in the liner?

You mean flush with the back of the liner? No, not enough room.

Here's some pictures from 6pk2goDemon, he said the radio had to be as high and to the left as possible to clear the "stuff" behind the glove box. Looks like he has some kind of aftermarket glove box liner, it isn't one of the stock plastic ones.

attachment.php

attachment.php

At one point I tried to make a metal surround to put an aftermarket radio in my glove box opening without using any kind of OE liner. It wouldn't be too bad, but the radio does have to sit a 1/2" back from the edge of the glove box opening for the glove box to close. I got carried away and tried to retain part of the glove box which meant I had to make a pocket that went back further than the face of the radio so I could store my paperwork for the car. I eventually just scrapped the whole thing and put the radio below my dash and next to my accessory gauges. Much easier, still out of the way, and I can actually reach the radio so I don't have to run it remotely.

You can see it to the right of my gauges in this picture...
IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

-
Back