plastic grille repair

-

hosehead

Reaction score
Anyone have a good plastic epoxy to fix a cracked plastic grille? I have a 69 barracuda that has some cracks in the grille and tonight I did a test on the back of it w/ super glue and it did that plastic "melting" thing. What have you used to repair cracks that doesn't damage the plastic. Thanks guys!

I have used Plastic Welder that I found at my NAPA store. Once it sets it can be sanded.

The best way to repair a grille is to dissolve grill material in acetone or mek and use the material to re-bond the broken pieces.

Unfortunately I have a low post count so I must not know what the heck I am talking about so maybe you should just ignore good advice because my post count is low...:rolleyes:

The best way to repair a grille is to dissolve grill material in acetone or mek and use the material to re-bond the broken pieces.

Unfortunately I have a low post count so I must not know what the heck I am talking about so maybe you should just ignore good advice because my post count is low...:rolleyes:

....uuuuuuuhh.........OK

I've tried this and it works great. Just don't use too much Acetone to melt the parts or it will take forever to dry after you apply the goo to the damaged area. I would compare the needed consistancy to that of stiff toothpaste.

Use a Dremel to "v" out the crack. Apply the goo. Wait for it to dry. Sand/prime/paint/beer.

I've tried this and it works great. Just don't use too much Acetone to melt the parts or it will take forever to dry after you apply the goo to the damaged area. I would compare the needed consistancy to that of stiff toothpaste.

Use a Dremel to "v" out the crack. Apply the goo. Wait for it to dry. Sand/prime/paint/beer.

No,no,no........it's BEER/sand/BEER/prime/BEER/paint/BEER/BEER :)

beer gooooood

I believe you!

I just came inside from the garage after fixing some Kawasaki motorcycle fairings with Plastex.

http://plastex.net/

Stuff works great and is sand able after a hour. I admit I had my doubts it would work but it works extremely well.

Eastwood Company makes a plastic repair kit that works very good you can even mold pieces that may be missing. I have used this to rapair a few sharktooth grills with great success.

they repaired one on muscle car. they clamped it and dremeled a groove on the crack and roughed it with 80 grit and used plastic bumper repair two part epoxy. then flip and repeat on the other side. then they shaped with 80 grit and then finished with a d a and repainted. this was a 71 cuda grill so im pretty sure they thought it out.

I hit a road cone in my Dart and cracked my grill bad. I used CA gap filling suped glue from the hobby store to fix it. It is made for plastic and works well. It will nothold a but joint though but I have not found any thing that will yet. It is also sandable and is good for filling cracks and chips as well. Just pore some in to the crack and let it dry then sand smoth.

-
Back