Please Explain Lane Splitting

-
Healing takes so much longer at half century mark.
Ok

Not hurt could be kind of irrelevant question I did jump out of there in a big ball of adrenalynn but of course this morning I feel like a man that's over 50 years old that just got dropped off a building on his left side! Lol

Do I get a 2nd choice?? Of vehicle or country?
No. Try Mexico first. It's close by, too.:) Drove in Mexico, once. I have no idea why they bother to paint lines on their highways. Had a car pass by me, opposite direction, on the right hand shoulder. Almost got T-boned by a team of donkeys pulling (pushed by?) a wagon downhill, too.:steering:

No. Try Mexico first. It's close by, too.:) Drove in Mexico, once. I have no idea why they bother to paint lines on their highways. Had a car pass by me, opposite direction, on the right hand shoulder. Almost got T-boned by a team of donkeys pulling (pushed by?) a wagon downhill, too.:steering:
As soon as you said drove in Mexico I knew something was going to go wrong...

Ever driven in Mexico?
No, but while stationed in Europe, I drove in Italy and Greece. Lane splitting doesn't even come CLOSE to explaining what they do. On a two lane road, someone will just pull out and pass and both the person being passed and the oncoming traffic are expected to pull over while the passer drives down the middle of the road. CRAZY! Plus, They TOTALLY ignore stop lights and stop signs. They just bully their way through intersections while honking their horns.

The "pointing down" is actually the rider saying "Thanks" for the extra room. Take a closer look next time and you'll see the "pointing down" is actually done with both the index and middle finger, sort of like a downward pointing "Victory V". It's known as the American biker wave and is the same signal that's given by one rider to another rider to acknowledge the other rider and say "Hi" while riding.

Actually, thanks for that bit of info. I'm a fairly new rider and was wondering why bikers kept giving me the peace sign. Thought they just liked my bike. (first time I thought I was getting the finger)

Most vehicle accidents have very little affect on your insurance costs.
I have to disagree. I had a minor accident, the first in over a decade, and my insurance went up about $50 more a month! What really sucks is it was clearly the lady's fault but I hit her so I was cited. She slammed on her brakes in the middle of an intersection with no other cars around but me behind her. A week later she tried making medical claims. I showed pictures of the damage to my insurance company and they believed it was insignificant enough to deny her outlandish medical claims. I did get a slight warm fuzzy feeling in knowing that her bf was arrested the night of the accident on an unrelated warrant.

Last edited:
No, but while stationed in Europe, I drove in Italy and Greece. Lane splitting doesn't even come CLOSE to explaining what they do. On a two lane road, someone will just pull out and pass and both the person being passed and the oncoming traffic are expected to pull over while the passer drives down the middle of the road. CRAZY! Plus, They TOTALLY ignore stop lights and stop signs. They just bully their way through intersections while honking their horns.

Thanks for that! It brought back memories of a business trip to Crete several years back. I had to be on Crete for a conference for a week but was actually only needed on the first and last days - the rest of the time my wife and I spent as tourists driving all over the island. I don't think traffic laws are even a suggestion over there because everyone just goes wherever they want to at whatever rate of speed sounds good at the moment - whether it be bicycle, car, truck or donkey cart.
But it was a great place to visit and we would go back for another visit in a heartbeat!

-
Back