Please Help With Color Code (gold) for Dash/Doors '65 Barracuda?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I lost my notes, what is the Chrysler/Dupont/Ditzler paint code for my dash? Well, there are two colors, the upper dash under the windshield is a flat darker gold, the photo show the gloss gold. Thank you.

dash color 65 ply.JPG

WW1 is white Ditzler 8362
Z is gold interior
(not Y for medium gold)

There is no 'Gold' for an interior color under the Valiant line, only:
Med Yellow Gold Poly. Ditzler 22451 (may be Z or Y?)

suede finish Dark Gold ... Ditzler 22464 (rear speaker grill)
suede finish Dark Gold ... Ditzler 22454(?) (instrument panel recessed upper)
see if you can read it.....
http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/images/65ply1paint.jpg

Last edited:
These Code "A" colors apparently are exterior paints as well:

Code "A" for 1964 listed as Ply "Barracuda Gold" 22461 Ditzler/4658 Dupont (this might be same as 22451 mentioned above, image blurry)

Code "A" for 1965 listed as Plymouth "Gold" 22461/4658

Need to paint the Gold Factory style stripe down the middle of exterior (have the template already). One website mentioned the gold stripe as being Citron Gold Poly 22511 (4763 Dupont) which is a 1966 "Z" code color. But it could also be the 1965 interior gloss gold color in my case (whatever gold that turns out to be).

Very confusing (except for the white exterior).
I need to determine for sure:
1) the darker gold (flat) paint used on the upper dash/speaker grille
2) the gold (gloss) on the instrument panel, ash receiver, glove box, upper inner doors
3) the gold on the exterior racing stripe

If only someone out there had a correctly restored white 1965 Barracuda with gold interior/gold stripe we could figure it out from them.

Photo is what I expect it to look like when completed:

Gold Stripe.jpg

I assume the dash is gold, I hope it's not something like light tan. Girls have a better grasp on these color distinctions. I can recognize black white, and hot pink (not my favorite I might add).

On the hamtramck site, I found Mopar codes for the stripes, AW4 is for the 1965 gold stripe (my choice). 1965 Factory Service Manual (page 23-95) shows stripe is simply the body color for that year/color. That is Ditzler/Dupont Code 22461 called Gold Poly in the FSM.

1965 barracuda hamtramck stripe codes.jpg

Last edited:
Please take a close photo of paint code on fender tag...

"A" for 1965 is "Medium Gold Metallic"... Used on exterior or interior .. Gloss... Except on top of dash where it is Flat Gold ( Not Tan )

Do not know where you got the Z ??? As in 65 Z was Not used for Plymouth/Dodge... But, was used only in Chrysler & Imperial as " Frost Torquoise "...
How ever, "Z" was used in 1964 on Dodges as Anniversary Gold Metallic....
In 64 the paint code "A" was just "Gold" and Only for the Barracuda !!!

Damn this gets confusing... LoL... I think you want the 65 "Medium Gold Metallic" and the 65 "W" "White"... But Go with what you Like!!!

Note: I painted my cuda some 25+ years ago... But I did do "Clear Coat" over it.. and I think that is why it has held up so well... Clear Coat was somewhat new back then... First time for me at least... Good Luck my Friend...

Last edited:
clifcuda65 is correct, the fender tag is not "Z" but "A", and thank you very much:

View attachment 1715361556

There you go... WW1 ( White ) & (1=Mono Tone Paint Style) outside body
A ( Medium Gold Metallic ) interior paint color...

And let's say if the 65 Barracuda had the "Factory" painted on the Gold Stripe...
The paint code on fender tag would read... " WW4AA "... But many were done by Dealers back then... Just saying..
:)

Last edited:
for my 64 Barracuda, I was wondering if the instrument panel bezel is the silver poly 32398 ?

-
Back