Please help with kickdown linkage!

-

Max_118

Reaction score
I have a '74 Duster, 318 with a 2 barrel carb. It's all stock as far as I can tell. The shifter is on the column. The VIN is VL29G4G118725.

The kickdown linkage was missing when I bought the car, and I've been trying to learn something and replace it myself. So far I'm $215 into this and it's getting frustrating. I'm coming to everyone here for some advice.

Apparently, there are at least three different types of linkage setups. (I had no idea about this.) A friend suggested a linkage setup (first picture). It's the wrong type for my car.

Then I found (what I thought was) a good diagram and I've been using that, but who knows if it's the right one for my car. I bought a second setup (see pic), and it seemed to be the right one but I ran into a problem. I was putting everything on, then I came to the spot where the lowest rod connects to the actual kickdown lever on the transmission. The setup came with two rods that MIGHT go there (see pics), but neither one will fit in the bellcrank. So now I'm thinking this is ALSO the wrong setup.

Someone else has (yet another) setup for sale, and this one is three pieces (last pic). But before I buy THAT one, I'd like to confirm that it's (finally) the one I need.

So please, can someone help me out with this?

linkage3.jpg

linkage5.jpg

linkage number 2.jpg

link rod 1.jpg

link rod 2.jpg

linkage number 3.jpg

Last edited:
Is your engine/manifold/carb set up still factory stock ? 2bbl?
column or console shift ? More info, better help.
If it doesn't have to be stock, the best way to go is with a cable conversion, like LOKAR.
Free downloads available for Factory Parts Book with part numbers and illustrations.
https://mymopar.com/parts-manuals/
Resource Library – MyMopar

Last edited:
Lokar has a cable set up that works with your combo for like $45.
Follow the directions. Easy as pie.

Is your engine/manifold/carb set up still factory stock ? 2bbl?
column or console shift ? More info, better help.
If it doesn't have to be stock, the best way to go is with a cable conversion, like LOKAR.

Yes, 2 barrel like I said. It's all stock as far as I can tell. The shifter is on the column.

First pic is totally wrong. 2nd pic is truck linkage. Which has a wider bellcrank and the wider bend in the lower rod. 3rd pic has a totally wrong lower rod and bell crank. I should have the whole set up for u. Kim

First pic is totally wrong. 2nd pic is truck linkage. Which has a wider bellcrank and the wider bend in the lower rod. 3rd pic has a totally wrong lower rod and bell crank. I should have the whole set up for u. Kim

Thank you. I'll send you a PM.

-
Back