Plum Crazy paint code(s) ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
When I bought my 64 A100 it was painted Plum Crazy purple. It needs some touch up. I do not know what the paint code is/ was there more than one Plum Crazy code .( I do not think that it is the modern challenger version of Plum Crazy)
Also since I do not know what type of paint was used...acrillic enamel ? base coat clear coat ??? will it matter what type of paint I buy to spray a small section on the vehicle ?
As you can tell I'm not a painter.
Do paint stores have a portable paint color spectrograph thing to take out to my vehicle to check the actual color ?

Last edited:
When I bought my 64 A100 it was pained Plum Crazy purple. It needs some touch up. I do not know what the paint code is/ was there more than one Plum Crazy code .( I do not think that it is the modern challenger version of Plum Crazy)
Also since I do not know what type of paint was used...acrillic enamel ? base coat clear coat ??? will it matter what type of paint I buy to spray a small section on the vehicle ?
As you can tell I'm not a painter.
Do paint stores have a portable paint color spectrograph thing to take out to my vehicle to check the actual color ?
Yes, Most auto paint stores can shoot yours with a gun and get a very close match.

The codes are good to have but you can find different shades between paint manufacturers. That's why it's good to have it scanned.

I worked in a shop that did body work (i was a mechanic) so I know about different shades of the same color

Last edited:
Scanning is good and it will more times then none give you a paint code....but as stated different shades between manufactures. And then sun fade will have to be in this equation as well. The A100 you have in the picture we pretty much know it's not stock, if I am guessing base coat clear coat, a body shop man can look at it and tell you for sure. BC/CC, would be the easiest for them (you) to blend the color back on the repair spot. Always get a little more paint then you need, and save it, this will be very handy in touching up areas as needed.

This is C7 70-71. BASF brand base. The mix attached is only for a quart. The newer version is lighter, or pearly or whatever, but definitely different
2EDF5331-3AEF-499E-9C8A-28E1077DCD4F.jpeg
0F1B3835-E055-4423-B040-1C0B235DE014.jpeg

just as important as the shade when dealing with plumb crazy is the color of the primer under it . primer color can make it 2 or 3 shades darker or lighter . myself I like a black primer .

The paint will normally need to be custom-tinted in order for it to match. Normally you'd mix it per a manufacturer's formula, spray a sample, let it dry, and see how it matches. Then the paint is tinted to make a near-perfect match. This might need to be done more than once.

-
Back