Pocket knifes & LEOs?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
In my ever expanding search for a nice EDC blade that is fully ambidextrous (im a lefty) and not some POS from china i am left with very few options.

I prefer more of "tactical" style as i live in California and can not carry a gun for defense.

So I want to know if anyone has had a LEO ticket them for a knife?

I think in California it is actually a felony to be carrying a knife that falls out side the legal limits?

Limit 4" blade
No autos.

So anyone ever get in trouble beacuse of a pocket knife?

Or is it more "that is now mine and you can go" kinda thing?

I realize it depends on the situation and by the time an officer is inspecting my knife, i have already screwed the pooch big time...

Thoughts?

Shockingly, CA actually unscrewed their knife laws some time back. Your 4" limit, and no switchblade (longer than 2") but otherwise you're good to go, even for an assisted opener.

Not sure of counties in CA still have their own laws on knives or not. They used to, and some places were quite strict and heavy on enforcement. I'd call your county sherrifs and inquire.

That said, I too didn't want to send any more money to china and so found a decent Kershaw for under $100 that is pretty decent (knockout folder). Also got my nephew a Kershaw dividend which is equally as nice.

Not sure how a typical liner lock works for a lefty tho?

K bar strapped to your leg and a box cutter in your pocket. If for self defense.
I get to carry a firearm, so I just have a 3" multi thin blade old timer in my pocket.
In a pinch I'd use the P38 on my key chain.lol

'

K bar strapped to your leg and a box cutter in your pocket. If for self defense.
I get to carry a firearm, so I just have a 3" multi thin blade old timer in my pocket.

Yes to the boxcutter. I carry one at all times. If I get to you whether I am around or not someone better be calling their local blood service chapter...

I can carry it in my hand and under my phone. You never see it...

JW

'

Dose it count that i know what a P38 is with out using Google.

When i was a kid box cutters, rock knifes were know as "a buck fifdy".

As in it will take at least 150 stitches to fix that.

And yes we do still have county knife laws.

Oakland Ca. Over 2 inch blade and you are screwed.
Where i live, and being an adult, i dont for see it being an issue.

I DO ALWAYS mention to the LEO that I am carrying a knife and ask if they would like me to remove it. (When im stopped in my car.)
So that is where the issue of a questionable knife comes in....

Last edited:
Dose it count that i know what a P38 is with out using Google.

When i was a kid box cutters, rock knifes were know as "a buck fifdy".

As in it will take at least 150 stitches to fix that.

And yes we do still have county knife laws.

Oakland Ca. Over 2 inch blade and you are screwed.
Where i live, and being an adult, i dont for see it being an issue.

I DO ALWAYS mention to the LEO that I am carrying a knife and ask if they would like me to remove it. (When im stopped in my car.)
So that is where the issue of a questionable knife comes in....

Admitting to a misdemeanor sounds unwise. It may be possible to gauge LEO interest in prosecuting knife crimes in small communities, but the thing with cops is they're just people. Some will let stuff slide, others will ticket or arrest for anything they can. Sometimes it can depend on how their day is going so far, or how it went the day before.

Generally speaking, most won't care if you're not engaged in other shenanigans. If you're being stopped for rolling a stop sign then you're not likely to get shackled for having 1/8" too much steel. But if you're involved in any kind of physical altercation it can have life changing consequences - even if you were truly defending your life with it, an illegal knife is still going to be an aggravating factor in an assault capacity. Even if it is and remains in your pocket the whole time too!
Laws can be asinine, and the application of them can be worse and so the best defense is opting out of the potential for such encounters.

Better to be tried by 12, they say.. But even a successful self defense situation can bankrupt you. Get decent self defense insurance if you ever plan to use any kind of weapon in a defensive capacity and then ensure that there's nothing which can prevent you from cashing in if your knife happens to be the wrong shape..

Of course always know the laws and even better some case history any time you're carrying a "weapon".

Loved the P38 reference! Trivia question if you know what a P38 is, then what is a John Wayne? And once again I would suggest American made Benchmark griptillian! Great EDC pocket knife and falls within your knife regs. I get mine in the bright yellow color so I can see them when dropped or laid down. I have had several they rock.

Loved the P38 reference! Trivia question if you know what a P38 is, then what is a John Wayne? And once again I would suggest American made Benchmark griptillian! Great EDC pocket knife and falls within your knife regs. I get mine in the bright yellow color so I can see them when dropped or laid down. I have had several they rock.
John Wayne has been on my key ring since 1981, the same exact one.

You all run with the wrong crowds....52 years in So cal as a civilian, never been assaulted with a weapon. But some are stuck where they are I guess for better or for worse.

In Commiefornia your not going to just get a ticket if your blade is ‘felony length’ your going to be arrested. I prefer fixed blades. If your going to rely on a blade then it would be worth your time to get some hands on training.

You all run with the wrong crowds....52 years in So cal as a civilian, never been assaulted with a weapon. But some are stuck where they are I guess for better or for worse.
I take it you never took your gal for a stroll down Crenshaw. lol
It only takes one wrong turn. lol

I take it you never took your gal for a stroll down Crenshaw....
Hell no. And I worked in Santa Ana for 4 years and Long Beach for 10 .....late shift for 3 of those. Granny cocked a shotgun on me once but I was in her backyard working on neighbors phone line. I knocked about 4 times and had my orange hard hat and yellow vest on and everything....

A few years ago the NYPD brass was pushing stats for knives. Everyone, I mean even legitimate Boat Captains, who carry knives to cut lines for safety were getting desk appearance tickets.
Now? Id say carry whatever you want! Your life may depend on it!
Its total lawlessness out there. I would say most decent, defunded cops, would care less right now.
Stay safe.

I carry my NAA .22 magnum everywhere. I've even carried it into the county court house and local government center.......both by accident. Glad I know all the boys. They just held it for me until I was done. But if I have my pants on, I have that gun. And I WILL pull it and I WILL shoot your *** if I have to. And you will NOT like it.

Sorry I couldn’t or wouldn’t live in a state that I couldn’t carry at least one firearm. It replaced my knife years ago.

Usually when I go out, I carry my Ruger LCP or my Springfield 9mm as well as my Kershaw lock blade. But I've carried a lock blade knife of some kind for over 20 years. I've never been assaulted, but I expect the best & prepare for the worst.

I don't have a weapon problem in Texas at all. You can legally carry any length knife anywhere and anytime. You can carry a sword, an axe or machete around with you if you like.

When I was young and dumb, I used to carry a machete under the seat of my Dodge truck. Guessing I would have had a hard time explaining that one to a LEO!

The best of both worlds- If I'm gonna get busted I'm gonna make it worthwhile.
356110b1c9cdcd414e006daac0cf8a7f.jpg

Picture for reference only- I don't actually (wink wink nudge nudge) have one behind the seat of my Swepty...

I had to take my belt off when I went into the federal courthouse to find the telco demarcation room. They asked me what my snips and 1.5" blade splicing knife were for....."uh, to fix phone lines..?" My work has a nationwide "no firearms on or in prem" policy.

pishta I feel ya, I used to work a contract with TDCJ & it was a real PITA to get on one of the units to do any repair work. I usually spent half of my time being checked in before any work began.

Here's my pocket knife that I've been carrying for over a year, if you look close you can barely see it poking out of my pocket. It has a red string attached to it:
DSC08187.JPG

Here it is out of my pocket. It automatically opens when I pull it out. Probably takes a 1/20 of a second to open as I'm pulling it out of my pocket.:
DSC08188.JPG

I have big hands so the knife itself is pretty large. If anybody should ask me for my wallet I just reach in my pocket and pull out my sword....and yes, it's razor sharp!!!

The correct answer is LEAVE California!!. Of course now the infestation is the entire W coast!!!

Wow, the 5 - 50cal Ma Deuces in the nose must really be a great deterrent. Not sure how you drag it around on the key chain, but I like it!

JeEB4b4TBWt582geyXwMheZKIPDxNZZYVKwPor02GcL4giKOTRlvV29QX4CL87qP0PrZXi8RMJxVRmnI1MvfwwxzIkOgFrno.jpg

'

Had a coworker that was a knife salesman. Been a long time since he told me this but he told me that pretty much and knife worth a damn has a blade made with steel from Japan.
My wife got me a beautiful custom knife from a guy that made them in AZ. Beautiful blade, holds an edge. Steel was from Japan.
I carry this Spyderco...
15947442189503872241706104476262.jpg
15947442189503872241706104476262.jpg

Steel, just like the other 20 or so knives in my safe is from Seki City Japan.

-
Back