Police Interceptor Heads?

-
No you didn't. The Little Red trucks never came with W2s. Never. They were rumored that they were going to get them, but they never did.
Exactly!

The engineers were using the dyno with a 360 engine for the Little Red Express truck engine and wondered, then asked about using and testing the W2 head, where they were plainly told a resounding “No! Don’t even think about it, don’t touch them!” Where they then ignored that statement and tested a pair over a short period. Then the word got out and the rest became history and every Tom Dick and Harry has a LRE truck with W2’s as stock equipment which is a major line of bullshit and/or a outright LIE!!

Exactly!

The engineers were using the dyno with a 360 engine for the Little Red Express truck engine and wondered, then asked about using and testing the W2 head, where they were plainly told a resounding “No! Don’t even think about it, don’t touch them!” Where they then ignored that statement and tested a pair over a short period. Then the word got out and the rest became history and every Tom Dick and Harry has a LRE truck with W2’s as stock equipment which is a major line of bullshit and/or a outright LIE!!

We can dream right? What you reckon those engines wouldda pulled on the dyno with the W2? 375-400 HP? That wouldda embarrassed the Corvette. Not just beat it. LOL

I know I'm late to the party, but weren't those special police heads the Mopar Performance W2 heads. Had a friend with a Lil' Red Express Truck's with a 360 with W2 heads from the factory. Now that motor would hall ***!!!!!
It's more than likely that the dealer installed them prior to delivery, but the truck never came with them out of the factory........

I personally do believe some W2 heads got thru on Some pursuit vehicles and possible some factory demo vehicles.
Remember the Siver Bullet ? I gaurauntee you there were corporate cars running around with special speed equipment .
Still happens! Hellcat motors in 300s etc...

I just talked to Mike about this and he said his dad was a Chrysler engineer, he ordered the truck. He said his dad was working on the Little Red Express project and they had tried the W2 heads on the 360 motor and it was a killer engine. He did say no production 360 engines had the W2 heads from the factory. But his dad had the pull to get them installed on the motor. My mistake saying it was from the factory, but they did!

Chrysler dumped the idea because they would have had to emission certified the engine for 50k miles...never happened...

Trucks still used leaded fuel until 88/89. Only 3/4 & 1 tons in the end.
I sold them new.... not sure they were required to emission certify trucks in late 70s.

man you guys need to switch to decaf :lol: and yes, the big 3 always had back door stuff going on to supply racers and test parts. when my dad was working on Gunsmoke in the early 60's, chevy had James Arness as a spokes person, and they were always giving him loaners to drive. in 63' they gave him a mid-size something or other that he spent the whole time driving the piss out of, scaring everyone he took for a ride. my dad said that was the fastest street car he ever rode in. the only restriction from chevy was he wasn't allowed to open the hood

There's always those in the crowd who claim stuff like this. I never say never, because I know how car makers did things loosely back then and I'm not calling anybody a liar, but I will say I don't believe stuff like this until I see 100% proof with my own good one eye. Seen too many people talk **** about their "one of a kind 440 Hemi Six pack one of one" to believe any of this mess right away.

I have been in the car biz for 33 yrs and I know for a fact that rogue stuff happens at the factory level.
The Portland zone for Acura just sent an 2017 NSX zone demo back to the plant for inspection because it had like 70k miles on it. They tore it all down to check wear items and modded some stuff when they reassembled it.

I have been in the car biz for 33 yrs and I know for a fact that rogue stuff happens at the factory level.
The Portland zone for Acura just sent an 2017 NSX zone demo back to the plant for inspection because it had like 70k miles on it. They tore it all down to check wear items and modded some stuff when they reassembled it.

I agree 100%. All I'm sayin is I believe it when I see it. While you're right, it does happen, those instances are WAY LESS than the legendary lore depicts.

I agree 100%. All I'm sayin is I believe it when I see it. While you're right, it does happen, those instances are WAY LESS than the legendary lore depicts.

Agreed ...
As for W2s in production cars I recall a post from Charles Sanborn about how he bought an early 80s patrol car and when he tore down the nasty oil covered 360 in it he found it had W2 heads and a cast iron 4bbl intake. Not that these are considered production cars but they were assembled by Chrysler..
He was amazed! So he did some calling and got confirmation from an old Chrysler guy that they did in fact equip a few pursuit cars with W2s for a few southern states.
While I didnt know Sanborn personally it seemed he had a pretty solid reputation and was involved deeply with Mopar racing circles.

All I know is his dad worked closely with Dick Maxwell, Mike said that is why he was able to order the truck with the W2 heads. I saw the truck 2 days after he brought it home, and remember his dad said it had the performance W2 heads. That truck was scary fast and very LOUD!! I just remembered it didn't have catalytic converters. From what I could see that motor was never touched from the factory. Mike said his dad has had different cars from the factory with options that should not have been on those cars.

Sneaking out a set of heads onto a car/truck then sold at the dealer in no way qualifies the vehicle as factory OK’d production.

That’s like me sneaking out a gold painted railroad track spike from my job and selling it to you so you can then claim “Actual authentic old real gold railroad spike sold to the general public.”

So lets just use the phrase.
“Some left the factory with....”

Look at the RPM where the HP was measured....3800 rpm.......that is why there is 5 hp difference...the w2 head has not woke up yet.....plus the candy *** camshaft

Probably are a good little boost in torque as well down low. Probably carried it further too.

We all know about the 2 I believe 78 Little Reds that had 440s in them.
In my years of Moparing I have heard the story of 2 w2 trucks. One went to a 4x4 race team in calif and the other disappeared and was never found. Have you found the missing truck?
That would be super.
The 4x4 w2 engine as the story went was pulled from the truck and put in a Duster I believe.
If you don't know about the 440 Little Reds I have a copy of the letter about it.

Trucks still used leaded fuel until 88/89. Only 3/4 & 1 tons in the end.
I sold them new.... not sure they were required to emission certify trucks in late 70s.

78 half tons did not have catalytic converters.
79 half ton had catalytic converters that's why they were slower then the 78s.

-
Back