Poll, leave my 71 340 Duster paint or repaint it

Should I repaint it or leave as much paint as I can original?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

813Demon340

Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to repaint my Duster or not. I'm going to prime, seal, and reinstall the black vinyl roof regardless.

Option #1 would be to leave the paint as is, and do a V24 style blackout on the hood, fender & door tops.

Option #2 would be to repaint the car back to its original FE5 Red, and install new stripes.

Attachments

• Dusterday.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 729
  • Dusterday2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 731
You know, its kind of hard to make a suggestion with no pics........

If you aint gonna do it right (pull it all apart, media blast everything, rotissorize the body, seal everything, put new sheet metal in where it needs it, do the paint and body), then would just leave it be so it's easier to do it right latter.

If I repaint it then it will be done right. Just not sure I want to do another ground up resto right now, once my RR sells.

I'd usually say leave the paint because they are only original once but the paint on your car is way to far gone to save. If my Valiant wasn't side swiped and the trunk smashed I would have kept the original paint as it wasn't too bad (just need to be buffed) to be presentable. Plus how many factory red painted Valiants with the original paint are still around?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 687
  • 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 695
  • 3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 664
Throw the color on it.
Take like 20 pictures of every angle including the door jams, under hood, all factory paint marks.
A car is only original once, put it back as close as you can to factory produced.

If you paint yours I will paint mine. It is mostly original EV2 Orange with the side stripes removed by a previous owner after replacing the RF fender.

Attachments

• DSCF1973.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,252
Sweet Duster DFX!!

I may try and black out the roof, fenders and tops of doors as they are surface rusted anyways. My friend whos a talented painter is coming over this week so we'll see how much its going to be to paint it. One of the reasons I want to leave it original is that I can drive it in any weather and not have to worry about it getting scratched or dirty. But the interior is all redone, as will the engine compartment, suspension etc.

No it wasn't kikgas's car.

Sweet Duster DFX!!

I may try and black out the roof, fenders and tops of doors as they are surface rusted anyways. My friend whos a talented painter is coming over this week so we'll see how much its going to be to paint it. One of the reasons I want to leave it original is that I can drive it in any weather and not have to worry about it getting scratched or dirty. But the interior is all redone, as will the engine compartment, suspension etc.

No it wasn't kikgas's car.

Thanks 813Demon340. I dig your Duster too!

I agree about leaving it original and not having to worry about the scratches and dings. I went through that worry after I repainted my first car, a 1964 Dodge Polara 500 with a 383 and a 4 speed. The parking lot scratches and dings just seem to appear like magic. After that lesson I left the oxidized paint of my 1966 El Camino as it was and I would just park it and forget it whenever I went anywhere.

I say paint the Duster with the black out scheme. Make it yours. I am thinking of having the stripes painted on instead of the tape. My tape on the tail panel is cracked and pulled apart from shrinkage over the years.

Art

I'd say repaint, just remember if you add the organosol black to the hood, fenders etc, it is one big pain in the butt to clean and waxing the car without touching the black is a pain too..just my 2 cents

When/ if it gets repainted it will not have the V24 style blackout, just red. I was only thinking of doing the blackout for now as a way to repaint the surface rusted areas.

Id repaint for sure ... Just finished my 71 swinger was e5 red now it viper red ...it a real close match too

Repaint it. The only arguement for leaving it, in my mind, is because it is a "survivor" and wearing the factory paint. If you go ahead and paint the black hood and stuff, it's not an original paint survivor anymore. So, just repaint the whole thing.

The real answer, of course, is do whatever you want and completely ignore this poll.

As was said before it is YOUR car do with it as you see fit....That being said, FAR too many people are ORIGINAL freaks, numbers matching freaks and the like....unless you plan on spending a few hundred thousand to make it showroom perfect plus and plan on taking it to Barrett Jackson or Mecums or some crazy crap like that....do a reasonable restoration, including a new paint job and drive it...... presently it just looks like another left to die rust bucket.... people like to view it because they see POTENTIAL...very few enthusiasts appreciate the RUSTED look...IMHO

For the record I did a lil research on those auctions and the cars being sold there....the cars that fetch 100k plus up to a mil plus usually have from 200k to 1.5 invested!!!! pretty much every car being sold there takes some kinda loss, very few are fresh rebuilds, and even fewer break even...most have been OWNED for a while by filthy rich guys that like expensive toys and really don't care if they take a loss because they write it off.... don't know about YOU, but that crap is WAY out of my classic car budget

I vote paint it.
Forget Barrett Jackson and all of the other auction/hype originality crapola.
If you are going to drive it, expect a few scratches, dings, and chips. That's the nature of the beast if you drive a car regularly and enjoy it for what it was originally intended.
Bottom line, do what you want to it, it's your car.
The world won't stop rotating if you modify it to your tastes either.
JMHO,
Tom.

-
Back