POLL: Pretty vs Functional

Would you prefer to have a perfect body over perfect mechanicals?

• Yes! A perfect body is essential before all else!

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • I like a little of both.

Votes: 56 20.4%
  • I'd rather be happy knowing I'm mechanically sound before looking pretty.

Votes: 190 69.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Welcome to FABO!
I did a little of both. I would have driven it if it looked decent. Color match spray bombs are my friend!
Mechanicals must come first though in my books.
I went with a little of both because i had to, but if the paint looks okay as is i would just leave it and do the mechanicals and drive it so you can fall in love with it.
Check out my build thread for some ideas, and yes, we need some pics!

I love something primer grey that hauls ***.

If your going to do both then I would suggest painting the engine bay and underside while the drive train is being rebuilt then you can go back to the body and interior later

Have to agree with this. I'd do this if planning to paint it or not.

mechanics, then custom work, then paint. otherwise youll be trying to fit freshly painted parts and scratch them. its why car shows build them, then tear em apart and paint em. and thats wat im doing on the dodge, but you do always need floors!

I'm starting to build a one owner 72 Duster I bought from a little old lady. I'm thinking about building up the mechanicals first and worrying about how she looks later. I'm just wondering how many of you would do the same? This Duster has minimal rust but the old lady I got it from banged it up here and there in spots.
You described my demon to the T, looks good from 20', up close chipped, cracked, faded, late 70's repaint. Slight dings dents, but goes like h*ll

Attachments

• image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 240
I love something primer grey that hauls ***.

Where I am at,right now. I do want it, jammed . Most of the hard mechanical work ,has been done. Voted :Do the mechanical, first. I have chipped/scratched nice paint jobs,to get something mechanically better.

Thank you everyone for replying to the poll! The vast majority that took time to post replies look to be in agreement with me ... get it running like a top and then worry about how it looks. I couldn't agree more!

There were a few posts asking for a picture and I did update my post to show you how it looks now while waiting for the South Dakota winter to surrender (I also updated my avatar to show the 72 Duster I ran around in while in high school from 1984 - 1986).

It has the typical Duster quarter panel rust (if your Duster came from the Northern climes) but otherwise it is rust free. No rust-through in the floor boards or trunk like most South Dakota Dusters I'm used to.

I first plan on getting a new front disc brake conversion kit, replacing all the front end bushings, tie rods, etc, that are not covered in the disc brake conversion kit and then replacing the 7 1/4 rear end and leaf springs with Mopar SuperStock springs. I'm not sure on the rear end yet. I have tried some local Mopar buddies I know to see if they have any leads on A-body sized 8 3/4 rear ends but no go so far.

Next on the agenda once I have a solid suspension is a fully blueprinted .030 383 my little brother is giving me with a 727 trans. That is up in the air - I'm still weighing whether I want to do that whole k-member conversion and fight with the exhaust (fenderwell or tucked in) or go just with a small block .... but that is a long-term vision for now.

I don't have a garage to do any of the work in so it'll take a lot of blood (damn mosquitos), sweat and battling the South Dakota weather but I hope one day I can show you all one sweet South Dakota Duster. Thanks!

- SOCKEM

get "whoah" before more "go" and looks do not matter when tail lights are the only thing you want people to see....

If your going to do both then I would suggest painting the engine bay and underside while the drive train is being rebuilt then you can go back to the body and interior later

X2

This is what I did on my Barracuda. Got a pretty close match to the existing paint and did the engine bay. That'll save a lot of work and hassle later. Did all the cutting and welding on the rest of the car, touched up a few spots, finished off the interior and hit the track. It's a good 10 foot paint job that I'll eventually get to. In the meantime I'm having fun in the car.

The first car I bought myself was a mistake - it looked good, but it was in terrible shape in reality, but I learned a lot from the experience. The prior owner did things like put on aluminum rims and new wheels, but they didn't fit properly and ended up causing warped brake drums (which ruined both the brakes and the new rims). He painted the car and tinted the windows and put in a new carpet and headliner, but he didn't fix the rust that ruined the floorboards and frame. He upgraded to a modern alternator and electric choke carb but left disconnected and ungrounded wires hanging around the engine bay, and he installed new gauges in the dash but didn't bother using solder or connectors, so the car constantly had electrical problems. He got a fuel cell from a friend who raced and put it in the trunk, but didn't bother strapping it down (I did). All in all, that mess taught me that mechanical issues and rust issues are far more important than appearances, unless you're just building an automotive sculpture instead of a car you intend to drive.

Mech first, body later, go watch 'hod rod 1979' on youtube and tell me you would have it any other way....

Like my grandpa used to say. "If it don't run chrome it".

It is nice to have both but if money does not allow for that I would rather have a good running car than a fresh coat of paint.

Get a couple grand. Pull every part off the car. Have a company sandblast it all and epoxy it. Have them do the doors, hood and trunk lid and all the other parts that you want too. Have them soak the inside frame rails and all seams too. You may as well just weld in your sub-frame connectors and roll cage first b4 blasting and coating.
Then you can edge it all in, do the underside and engine bay, then just build the machine. Later you can do the external body work.

I have a pretty great sandblaster and quite big compressor but I should have had a pro do it. They can use proper media based on the panels to prevent damage and get it done expeditiously. They usually have monster compressors and media by the half ton. They can have your car back to you in a few days. Usually they can coordinate e-coat after bare metal or soak the whole thing in epoxy for you. Thats my opinion.

I would start at rust repair and making sure that it Will not rust again.
Solid body first.
then make it stop, handle and go in that order.

Most fun I ever had in a car was a 66 Belvedere II 4 door that I bought from an old man with 60,000 original miles, not perfect but very decent ride. Dropped in a 426 Hemi with a manual valve body automatic and a 3500 B&M stall converter with a 4.10 sure grip 8 3/4. It looked real non descript but it was oh so much fun to slap the pretty cars into reality. I always build brakes first, motor and trans next, usually paint and body only happens when I decide to sell a car.

I just found myself a '70 duster... I'm also doing mechanics and mods first... Disks, front suspension, ignition,leafs, rear, gears, wheels tires... Then soso paint job.... Keep the slant for now.... 440 on the stand will wait until next year...Then TTi headers, exhaust, finish off the engine, rockers, carb, dizzy, etc...
Go-show- then more Go lol

I'm starting to build a one owner 72 Duster I bought from a little old lady. I'm thinking about building up the mechanical first and worrying about how she looks later.

That's exactly what I'm doing. The last thing I would want to do is damage a nice new paint job while working on the mechanical swaps I'm doing.

I'm gathering all the mechanicals to make this thing drive. The seats were gone so I'm doing at least some of the interior. I plan to drive it rusty and crusty for a while, then see if I feel like tearing it apart for paint.

With the pace I'm on, I might never get to drive it if I make it pretty first.

Attachments

• Dart on its wheels rear.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 140
-
Back