" Poll time"

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have had bad clutch chatter after rebuilt engine (68 Cuda 383 4 speed) and new mcleod clutch kit and resurfaced flywheel. It looks like my rear main seal is leaking a bit and maybe slinging oil on my clutch. So anyway I have decided to pull clutch and inspect rear main seal.
My question is should I pull engine and 4 speed or leave engine in car and only pull gearbox and clutch?( A couple of years ago i replaced a rearmain seal on a 440, with tranny pulled and i was able to simply push out old seal and install new seal with just removing seal cap). I will be working with car on stands in garage. Thanks

I always liked having it out - but you can drop the transmission and do it that way too. Pretty much up to what you feel like doing.

On a big block A body can you pull the clutch and flywheel with leaving the bell housing on?

Food for thought, I just got rebuilding a 69 GTS Dart for a customer. Originally it had a 383 and a 4 speed but he changed it to a 440 in the late 70's. Anyway when I got the car finished and started to test drive it it had a horrendous clutch chatter. It chattered so bad it was hardly driveable because you couldn't let the clutch out in first gear. I tried three different clutches with no improvement finally I noticed the pinion on the rear end was pointing up. I measured the pinion angle and it was 1 degree up in relation to the trans output shaft. I got some 5 degree wedge shims and changed the pinion angle to 4 degrees down and instantly the problem was solved. Now the clutch is as smooth as silk with no chatter at all. Something to double check possibly.

Food for thought, I just got rebuilding a 69 GTS Dart for a customer. Originally it had a 383 and a 4 speed but he changed it to a 440 in the late 70's. Anyway when I got the car finished and started to test drive it it had a horrendous clutch chatter. It chattered so bad it was hardly driveable because you couldn't let the clutch out in first gear. I tried three different clutches with no improvement finally I noticed the pinion on the rear end was pointing up. I measured the pinion angle and it was 1 degree up in relation to the trans output shaft. I got some 5 degree wedge shims and changed the pinion angle to 4 degrees down and instantly the problem was solved. Now the clutch is as smooth as silk with no chatter at all. Something to double check possibly.

Thanks for the tip I will check it out. One thing is that before the engine and clutch was rebuild the car had no chatter at all even know the original clutch was cooked. But I will still check out the pinion angle... thanks

I could jump through this screan and kiss you. I checked the pinion angle and mine to was 1* up and trans yoke was 2* down. So I put some shims in the leaf pad and went for ride. Chatter was 70% gone. Once I get proper shims should be 99% gone. Thank you so much. It is some thing I over looked because my old clutch had no chatter.

I'm glad I could help! It was a big relief for me too cause I was getting tired of pulling that trans! And by the way, a firm handshake will do just fine.

I'm glad I could help! It was a big relief for me too cause I was getting tired of pulling that trans! And by the way, a firm handshake will do just fine.

Yes... I was kinda out of line with the kiss thing. But it was a figure of speech lol. That's what this great forum is all about. Thanks dude

On a big block A body can you pull the clutch and flywheel with leaving the bell housing on?

Factory bell, not limited to big blocks. The 71 bell on my 340 allowed removal of clutch / flywheel. I don't know about slants.

-
Back