Poly magazine build

-
I got a few poly mags too

AK-POL30-8-c.jpg

The poly engine can be a stuckin fump puller.

many years ago, when I bought my first house, there was a poly 318 complete dual quad setup left in the middle of the basement floor.

When the 318 Poly first appeared here in 1958, the Aussie motoring writers raved about it......
All of the 318s were 2 bbl, 9:1 CR. A 58 Belvedere was tested & the writers reckon they got 118mph out of it...with a 2bbl!!!
What makes it even more memorable is that motor writers here were generally anti 'yank tanks'. Big, heavy, didn't handle or stop. They would always try & find fault with them. But they raved about the Belv & subsequent Darts had Poly's & got great accolades. Such as 'Road Rocket'. 'Blistering Performance'.
I have the original magazines that have these quotes.

I like poly engines. Compare a stock 318 poly to a LA 318 I’ll take the poly.

but looking at the numbers it just doesn’t add up.

4.2” stroke
12:1 compression
And it only has 551 horsepower and 563 torque
Look at all the custom machining and pieces in that engine.

you’re still better off with a big block.

B620E2F6-F5A8-4FCB-B5F1-3376E050C489.jpeg

65DBFD96-491B-4707-8AA6-97DBC7C652AB.jpeg

Of course you could be better off with a big block, but the exercise wasn't about that and not everyone has the talent to do what these folks did.

I like poly engines. Compare a stock 318 poly to a LA 318 I’ll take the poly.

but looking at the numbers it just doesn’t add up.

4.2” stroke
12:1 compression
And it only has 551 horsepower and 563 torque
Look at all the custom machining and pieces in that engine.

you’re still better off with a big block.

View attachment 1715748956

View attachment 1715748957

Best bet is just to put the 4" crank in it. It's a bolt in swap.

There are several big time engine builders involved with the poly, they also developed a new and improved intake. Yep a stroker kit is part of it, and building one like anything is not cheap. What is not these days?

Does the poly head flow any better than an LA/Mag head?

I've never seen flow comparisons, but just as a guess I'm sayin "yeah", simply because of valve placement. By canting the valves, the path for airflow is "straightened out" a lot more then if the valves are side by side, so the potential is certainly there.

I've never seen flow comparisons, but just as a guess I'm sayin "yeah", simply because of valve placement. By canting the valves, the path for airflow is "straightened out" a lot more then if the valves are side by side, so the potential is certainly there.

I would guess the same. But if the ports are too low or maybe the short turn radius too small (look at me trying to sound like I know something :D), maybe it doesn't translate into a good flow. The article showed raised ports by a significant amount.

Didn't they call this motor a semi-hemi?

Didn't they call this motor a semi-hemi?
Yes it was a nic-name.Also called a big block or wide block 318 though we know that that is false.
I always thought the poly head had advantages over the LA head. I like the exhaust ports like the Hemi Head.
IMG_1389.jpg

And people have said that they have used headers for the Ford. Maybe ??

-
Back