Poor mans Hemi car. (M-body)

-

dla4567

Reaction score
Sorry, not an A, I wanted to get a '68 Hemi Cuda, but after I looked at the checkbook I relized that wasn't going to happen.So you work with what you got.Its a 1980 Dodge Diplomat with a slant six that I've had for about 10 years.It was starting to rust and the 90 horsepower the six put out wasn't cutting it,so it begins.After tearing it down it was off to the sand blasters.

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02258.jpg

DSC02255.jpg

DSC02264.jpg

About a week later, back from the sand blaster and looking much better.

DSC02289 (2).jpg

DSC02298.jpg

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

Alot of painting done. I hate painting,but I hate rust even more.. POR-15 on the inside,underneath,frame,and on me. Painted the engine compartment and jams.(I like shiny things)

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02381 (2).jpg

DSC02382 (2).jpg

Installed new front hangers from Firm Feel with XHD E-body leaf springs,and shakles.Pulled the old 8 3/4 from my old big block Aspen. I disasembled,cleaned and painted it then test fit it be for sending it out to be rebuilt. Thats when I found out that whoever moved the spring perches in didn't mount them straight. They will have to be taken off and new ones welded back on.Since I don't know what angle and height the new motor and trans will be, that will have to wait. Next project will be front suspension. I need to get this thing back on the wheels so I can push it out and clean the garage (its getting a little cramped in here).

DSC02388.jpg

DSC02386 (2).jpg

DSC02387 (2).jpg

That a '70 Coronet. (My first car), had it 20 years and it only has 38,000 miles on it. Someday I hope to bring it back to life.

Put this together last year for the Diplomat. Its a 354 Hemi that spent the last 50 years in a bus. When I got it it only had 19,000 miles on it. Now it has new pistons,rings, bearings,cam,valve guides,stainless valves,340 oil pump,gear drive,intake,and so on,you get the picture.Somewhere in all this junk I also have a freshly rebuilt 727. When its all done it will be my daily driver. It will cost less than a new car and be alot more fun to drive.

DSC02300 (2).jpg

Project Diplomax????

DIPLOMAX! I like that, don't be surprized if that ends up on the car.

Well I think that brings us up to date. (feels like I did more than that?)

I admire the fact that you stuck with the original color. So many out there would have gone with one of the wilder Mopar colors.:thumblef:

When its done it will be the original two tone tan, bench seat, auto on the column.The only thing I might change about the apearance is the wheels (can't keep those dang hubcaps on). I'm thinking about cop car wheels but thats a long way off.

Interesting build with that 354. Was contemplating a similar build using a 392 Hemi in an 80 Cordoba but the front frame rails were too far gone

Awesome unique build, very cool and different, keep the pictures comming! :cheers:

Not only is this a way cool M (I see you already here,ramenth), but anyone who knows me knows I groove on the early hemi the most (the Red Headed StepChild). Fantastic man! Keep postin' pics, please!:happy10:

-
Back