Ported head and bigger valves

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
so, I dunno if I'm going crazy but, every since I ported my slant six head and installed bigger valves it seems that I been able to add more initial timing With out pinging, can this happen? I do remember that the cylinder head I had on before was choked my motor and wouldn't pull hard after 5,200 with all that casting flaws blocking flowing and un matched ports. The motor has 9:1 compression with 3.55 gears

Can it happen? Sure. Did it happen? I dunno, if Your porting greatly enhanced chamber/cyl. swirl, it would be more resistant to detonation. But a whole bunch of other things could have been affected, signal at the carb's mains at a given RPM etc., running vac adv.? Is that the only change that was made? Quantify what You were/are running base/mech/vac for Us if You would.......

Can it happen? Sure. Did it happen? I dunno, if Your porting greatly enhanced chamber/cyl. swirl, it would be more resistant to detonation. But a whole bunch of other things could have been affected, signal at the carb's mains at a given RPM etc., running vac adv.? Is that the only change that was made? Quantify what You were/are running base/mech/vac for Us if You would.......
What's up Killer6!, yes that and I installed a tube header, I was at 12 degrees initial and bumped it up to 14. I'm going to try to bump it up till she pings then back off.

What is the total advance, and at what rpm is it "all in"? Keeping track of what idles/responds best at what initial adv., and what total adv gives the best hp w/o detonation is key, You can tailor the total mech. with an FBO plate set-up or similar technique. Tube headers,..dramatic mod to make along with that head,....both good ones....

-
Back