Status
Not open for further replies.

Hysteric

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Whos making power with 302's????

Hysteric

What kind of power, on what engine? They can make a real 300 pretty easy with decent valve jobs. You start having to spend a bit on porting to get more than that out of them.

Currently they are on a 360 and flow 217 at 440 lift with 132cc intake runner but i want more flow so i need feedback from guys who have ported them!

Hysteric

thats pretty good for just a 132cc runner. i went ape on mine. prolly around a 190-200cc port. mabey around 260cfm intake 170cfm exhaust. that was very involved though. right down to almost totally eliminating the pushrod pinch and installing brass sleeves. some expoxy to clean it up. on the exaust it was hogged out big time, except for the floor ended up almost a duplicate of a W2 port. and polished to almost like a mirror. Big valves. 2.05 intakes/ 1.625 exhaust. lotta time invested. wouldn't recommend it at all. especially when you can get rpms and such. i did it becouse RyanJ (shadey dell) said I was a fool to think it could be done becouse he couldn't.

prolly around a 190-200cc port. mabey around 260cfm intake 170cfm exhaust

Now thats what im after!

totally eliminating the pushrod pinch and installing brass sleeves.

Thats what im looking to do now. It seems to fall over after 440 lift so a bit more cfm up top would help alot. The pushrod pinch is sooooooo narrow on the 302's so its gotta make a big difference.

Im running 1.88/1.60 valves too

Hysteric

RyanJ (shadey dell) said I was a fool to think it could be done becouse he couldn't.

Yeh i asked about getting a set done(302's) and he said why bother when you can use a J head or other head with a bigger port volume.

Hysteric

No offence, but you should heed Ryan's advice. There are SO many other heads that flow better...unless you are just out to prove something, in which case, do what makes you happy.

No offence, but you should heed Ryan's advice. There are SO many other heads that flow better...unless you are just out to prove something, in which case, do what makes you happy.
yup. no doubt his Jheads flow. but do they make the power based on his CFM claim? HELL no. lazy lazy heads. as for the 302, he dosn't understand the ports and therefore steers people away from them so they can buy his services for a set of "J's". if i need a HIGH RPM CIRCLE TRACK HEAD the won't see anything under 4000rpm mabey i'll go to him. for street heads the guy has to unlearn what he has learned. Ryan"J" head lol.

Its funny how easy isnt always better!

Look at "Quikmopardan" on Moparts who runs 9.6's iirc with 587 smog heads at 3000 lbs. He must be making 650 hp at least.

Anyway im more interested in maximising my current combo before stepping up to something bigger.

Hysteric

Funny the rest of the world bypasses them. In this case, being different is simply being stubborn. I've seen some good heads and seen plenty of bull ****. If you've already done the basics, sell them and buy some better heads. Any magnum clone would be a better choice and "next step". I have a friend who races a stovebolt 6. Runs in the 9s in a studebaker. You have to do it because you love it... because there is really no other reason to.

while i'll agree that the 302 on paper looks like it shouldn't work.. it does work, and very nicely. have you actually tried to do a set of 302's? or are you just going by what the inter-duh-net says?

thats pretty good for just a 132cc runner. i went ape on mine. prolly around a 190-200cc port. mabey around 260cfm intake 170cfm exhaust. that was very involved though. right down to almost totally eliminating the pushrod pinch and installing brass sleeves. some expoxy to clean it up. on the exaust it was hogged out big time, except for the floor ended up almost a duplicate of a W2 port. and polished to almost like a mirror. Big valves. 2.05 intakes/ 1.625 exhaust. lotta time invested. wouldn't recommend it at all. especially when you can get rpms and such. i did it becouse RyanJ (shadey dell) said I was a fool to think it could be done becouse he couldn't.

I love those flow benches and dynos that produce "prolly" and "mabey" numbers!

I will agree that the 302 head is severley underrated for a street or street/strip deal. A buddy did a set for his 360 driver several years ago and we all laughed at him. Then, he took that 302-headed, 9:1 360 to the track in his drive-it-everyday, got full exhaust, 3600# challenger with the 3.23's and the Dunlop qualifiers and went low 13's at 110+ mph. WTF?? 110??!!?? Oh yea, it had an iron intake and a Eddy 750 carb. Oh yea, AND it passed a CA smog sniff test, just for giggles.

i went 17mph faster then your friend with a 3020lbs car. do the math. then divide engine HP by 2 and thats roughly the cfm the heads are making. only works for NA engines.

I have never ported heads before, and I ported a set of 302's for a 318 engine that I want to make 375 hp with. I have no access to a flow bench or a dyno, I will guess my hp by the et's it runs in the spring. I think for a 318, it looks like a good head to use for street/strip. I'll find out in a few months if those heads work with my amateur porting.

I think yall should just save your time and money,and send me the crappy things,so yall wont be so upset when your rear tires wear excessivley,and parts start to break,like rear axles,drive shafts and such.Besides,dont yall know the extra mpg the swirlport,closed chamber heads offer,just slow you down and save money?Oh,and im sure yall wont like the fact the 302 heads,for some reason,like less total timing,and dont detonate as bad with high compression as open chamber iron heads.So,ill be happy to relieve you guys of any sets of these you have,so you wont be dissapointed.:angry7:

if chamber shape was all it's about we'd all dump money into mag'em heads. when it's packed into a tight lil area of corse you'll need less timing to light it 'all' off, then again when the compression is at it's max with given combo, the sb mopar head/chamber/plug angle does not need much in the 1st place=30*

the leanings..
Closed=hp
open= torque
very general I know...

do what makes you happy and that you can afford to do.
No matter what, someone will hate on it anyways....

I got an idea...maybe abmb360 has some pics of his ports you could look at?

Or maybe he could give you some tips, areas to work on the most?

he is the only one I know of that has 302 heads flowing the #'s he has said.

what are the #'s btw?

post a flow sheet so we can check out the curve.

this is info that would be mighty selfish not to post for everyone.

I am stubborn
I like 302 heads.
I have ported them.
I have a sroker with them.
They have made decent power for me.
But there is no way I would put them on a 360, for a car. plow truck, yeah, wifes ride, sure, performance? No way.

But thats just me, and IDk WTF I am talking about.............:profilel:

PICS!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna see the poxy brass tubed Landy copy 302 heads!

I will agree that the 302 head is severley underrated for a street or street/strip deal. A buddy did a set for his 360 driver several years ago and we all laughed at him. Then, he took that 302-headed, 9:1 360 to the track in his drive-it-everyday, got full exhaust, 3600# challenger with the 3.23's and the Dunlop qualifiers and went low 13's at 110+ mph. WTF?? 110??!!?? Oh yea, it had an iron intake and a Eddy 750 carb. Oh yea, AND it passed a CA smog sniff test, just for giggles.
dusterdoug is offline Reply With Quote

What cam specs?

Hysteric

Hysteric.. cam was in the .600 range.

I got an idea...maybe abmb360 has some pics of his ports you could look at?

Or maybe he could give you some tips, areas to work on the most?

he is the only one I know of that has 302 heads flowing the #'s he has said.

what are the #'s btw?

post a flow sheet so we can check out the curve.

this is info that would be mighty selfish not to post for everyone.
i did give some relevant info. get rid of the pinch. install some brass sleeves. a little epoxy. basic porting. done. nobody can teach hi-mod porting over the internet. chamber pics i keep to myself. ANY exhaust port pic i keep to myself. theres some epoxy of the floor, and the pinch had a ways to go yet. flow benches are akin to dyno's. means ****. ask Ryan lol. i'll post a half *** port pic that i have. don't mind the metal gasket. its just for reference to show the port size difference between a 318 and a 360. it was only 50% done.
360stuff006.jpg

my engine was also featured in a magazine article directly comparing it to your engine.

MyFootInYourAss.jpg

did I offend you?

I only asked for something that might help the guy, and you now wanna get creative and show off your copy & paste skills...

....and claiming to help a guy by saying ' just hog it and tube it'????

I said hey, show a guy some detail here, actually explain it.
The OP asked the same thing... so what's the big deal?

The pic you posted says nothing.
seriously...
how much do you really wanna help here...
I think we ALL wanna see these ports.

A bomb, Yeah, I've used more than a couple sets of 302s. They have thier place. I'm beginning to see all kinds of parallels between your posts and others that have come before you. Next the car will levitate, run any liquid for fuel, and still pass the sniffer test. If I sound cynical, I am. If you are ballsy enough to post numbers like that you might as well post pics so we can see how magical your fantastic physics surpassing work is. You're right in that flow benches are simple tools. The info they give can be interpreted in the same number of ways as can the tests can be done. Has anyone flowed yours that can back up your numbers? Maybe post a link to that magazine article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back