Porting my edelbrock heads, how do they look?

-

turboking15

Reaction score
This is my 1st set of aluminum heads, also my 1st set of la heads. I have been following the write up @pittsburghracer did about tubing pushrod and head bolts for porting. Got my 1st intake port done tonight and would like some critique and any advice you guys can offer before I move on to the rest of the ports. As always thanks for all of the knowledge you guys share with the rest of us.

Onto the pics

20201012_205342.jpg

20201012_205336.jpg

20201012_205435.jpg

20201012_205412.jpg

20201012_205408.jpg

20201012_205347.jpg

Nice straight common wall. Nice job kissing the pushrod tube. (What’s it measure at the pinch 1.010-1.015). Get a nice shot of the shortside both upside down and rightside up. Nice work

I'm measuring about 1.045 at the pinch, I dont have my intake gaskets yet so I haven't taken the entry to final size. Here are some more pics of the SSRI, as best as I could manage anyways.

20201012_215957.jpg

20201012_220053.jpg

20201012_220025.jpg

F403AEB9-C1CE-4271-8FBB-2FEB41D68EFD.jpeg
If you look down the port you will see the floor sloops up and the roof down in this picture. It funnels the air into the shortside to high and it has a hard time navigating it shooting the air across it into the good air coming down the back of the bowl. The colored in areas need more area.

Your shortside looks pretty nice. There are a few things that could be addressed but it’s to hard telling someone how to SAFELY widen and shape it.

i will do some more sanding in those areas tomorrow when i get back out to the shop. i was unsure how far i could push the bottom black section back and down so i stopped there. the top is pretty square already the angle of the pic is a bit deceiving, but ill revisit up there aswell.

They look like crap! You should send them to me so I can throw them away for you! JK, they look awesome!

addicting isn’t it. The hard part comes when you have to duplicate it 7 more times then start all over again on the exhaust. Lol

addicting isn’t it. The hard part comes when you have to duplicate it 7 more times then start all over again on the exhaust. Lol

Oh I know, I went through this when I did the magnum heads where I moved the pushrod. At least aluminum is much quicker than iron. Lol.

Any thoughts on the updated port shape?

Oh I know, I went through this when I did the magnum heads where I moved the pushrod. At least aluminum is much quicker than iron. Lol.

Any thoughts on the updated port shape?

If I’m seeing right (using lighting helps) look at where you opened it up real nice and kissed the tube at the pinch. Now look past the tubing and it looks like the wall needs pushed back more to take advantage of what you gained. It looks like it needs pushed out more to me. Remember water lurkes in the floor so shy away from it. Looking good. Looks like you picked up more much needed area at the short turn.

Is this the area you're talking about?

View attachment 1715612422

To touch on this a little more the air navigating this turn on the way to the short turn is the air that ends up shooting into the center of the cylinder. This is where and why short turn shaping is so important. On the common wall side the air is shooting along the cylinder wall so again it needs shaped with this in mind. Looking at ported Head pictures is a big “show n tell” knowledge builder. I have been self taught so I gained a lot on Yellowbullet tech. there is a post showing different heads and port work. Photo bucket screwed up a lot of the pictures but there is a way around that.

To touch on this a little more the air navigating this turn on the way to the short turn is the air that ends up shooting into the center of the cylinder. This is where and why short turn shaping is so important. On the common wall side the air is shooting along the cylinder wall so again it needs shaped with this in mind. Looking at ported Head pictures is a big “show n tell” knowledge builder. I have been self taught so I gained a lot on Yellowbullet tech. there is a post showing different heads and port work. Photo bucket screwed up a lot of the pictures but there is a way around that.

Is this getting at the reasoning as to why LS heads and gen 3 hemi heads flow so well?

A64401E9-BC08-49A7-AAC1-FF777C99BC09.jpeg
ED793CEE-98DA-4118-86D8-19B3F98324C5.jpeg
40008B91-C893-4F0A-B2F6-064B9DC23508.jpeg
675FDA2A-1F8A-4830-AE70-AFB448C22251.jpeg
907DDFB0-9DD6-4EC6-B458-B15BF41736FE.jpeg
Is this getting at the reasoning as to why LS heads and gen 3 hemi heads flow so well?

Just goes to reason centering the valve in the cylinder is a good thing. Not saying it is necessary to run good as we see goes running good with old school Mopar junk everyday. Just look at everything 3D and from every angle. If you would see me flipping a head around you would stand back and shake your head. I have some really nice head stands but fairly use them for this reason. The rotating ones lockdown in any position.

Looks good to me. I see a few areas I would work but remember I’ve done a boatload of these. Are you going to flow test them of throw them on and send it.

Looks great man! I know how much time and work go into them I did my first set this year. Mine was cast I'm assuming aluminum would probably be less forgiving lol. I'm not sure if you are but please wear a respirator that stuff will kill you.

Looks good to me. I see a few areas I would work but remember I’ve done a boatload of these. Are you going to flow test them of throw them on and send it.

I haven't found anyone local to me with a flow bench yet, so these will probably just end up on the motor after I'm done. I'm also not as worried about flow numbers on these because they will be on my turbo motor. Boost will make up for any porting flaws. Lol.

But this has been a great learning experience for me in the art of porting and what to look for / areas to pay attention to. Once my gaskets show up I will do the final dressing on the intake port and work the exhaust side. Stay tuned for more progress pics!

I haven't found anyone local to me with a flow bench yet, so these will probably just end up on the motor after I'm done. I'm also not as worried about flow numbers on these because they will be on my turbo motor. Boost will make up for any porting flaws. Lol.

But this has been a great learning experience for me in the art of porting and what to look for / areas to pay attention to. Once my gaskets show up I will do the final dressing on the intake port and work the exhaust side. Stay tuned for more progress pics!

Try to avoid opening up the pushrod side entrance anymore. Why put the bend back into it, right?

-
Back