Possible radiator for SB w/ cast iron water pump

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
This e-bay "suggestion" popped up after a recent purchase. Caught my eye since the size sounds close. I know nothing of the seller. There are probably other ones out there. I have read many people trying hard to find an aluminum radiator for earlier A's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4012.m656&_trkparms=clkid=5007930228308677809

If overall dimensions are OK, looks like the tube locations would work on SB's with the cast iron water pump (pre ~1970). Not for me since I converted to the aluminum water pump (don't recommend).

Looks like no fill neck, but I recall there are in-hose ones. The factory compressor would probably conflict, but not most after-market compressors. My upper tube is in the same place and I used the upper hose for my 65 Newport. You would have to make brackets. Don't blame me if you try and doesn't work. Just trying to help.

Attachments

• radiator.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 157
Looks a lot like my universal Griffin radiator. But outlets are just opposite what is needed with cast iron pump.

MJF,

On closer look, I agree. I was thinking one could put the small tube at top, passenger side with the reservoirs on top and bottom. I didn't notice there is already a fill neck (barely visible), and that would wind up at the bottom. I expect you could put a high-pressure radiator cap in there and consider that a really big drain plug. Then have a cap at the top in a separate tube section (have seen such).

Besides early SB's, the tube locations would fit my 65 383. I already have an aluminum radiator for it (not installed). $80 new on ebay. No description of the intended applicaton, but it will fit (with smaller battery tray). Instead of side brackets, it has tapped holes on the front, so I can just drill matching holes in my front support. There are choices out there. I just wish the radiator sellers would state all the dimensions so we could decide.

champion Radiator has an application for any setup and they are very economical

-
Back