Possible to swap in a dakota/cherokee 8.25 sure grip

-

raw111

Reaction score
Hi i have been Searching and Searching and i cant find a Yes, I have a 73 Duster 8.25 Rear and i was hoping when i put it in to install a sure grip in it. Now in all my searching, I see yes's I see no's Some people are talking about the Carrier bearing being a different size. And others are saying the splines but it seems splines are the same pre 97 Thanks!!!

I'm curious too, I have a 3.55 Dak 8.25 and a 3.92 SG Dak 9.25 both gotten cheap and laying around.
I know one side of the housing is quate a bit longer, if you were trying to just put the whole thing in.

No just the center carrier the sure grip part i was going to pull it from a local junkyard

I have just installed a 2003 Durango Trak-Loc in my 1975 housing. It is a 29 spline so I ordered custom axles from Dr. Diff. Super beefy and everything fits great. Just need to be sure to get the correct C-clips as the newer units have MUCH larger clips.

a full rear will have to be cut. a 9.25 392 sure grip out of my r/t dakota lasdt week measured 58 inches from backing plate to backing plate.. i think it is 7 inches too wide

I am not looking at a Full rear just the center guts. i was planning on using my axles. and casing and just the sure grip unit from the dakota. thanks for info does the pre 97 fit as well just as simple? im not looking to put a ton of power thru it.

According to Randy's ring and pinion. Posi trac 27 spline is '96 and older. I would think you junk yard one would work if the spline it correct.

Yes any pre 97 carrier will fit in an A body housing. The only thing to watch for is the carrier designed for the 2.45 and 2.21 gear set which only works with those gears. Also in 75 the OD on the carrier bearings changed so if your going to put a 75-96 carrier in your 73 rear you'll have to swap the bearings around.

Thats was what my concern was daliant! so my old bearings will "swap" over?

Yes any pre 97 carrier will fit in an A body housing. The only thing to watch for is the carrier designed for the 2.45 and 2.21 gear set which only works with those gears. Also in 75 the OD on the carrier bearings changed so if your going to put a 75-96 carrier in your 73 rear you'll have to swap the bearings around.

Autozone carriers both the large and small carrier bearings on the shelf (Timken). The ID is the same, so either bearing will fit either carrier type pre/post-97). Only the OD changes depending on the case. My '75 used small bearings, but my Motive kit came with large bearings. I bought the small bearings at AZ and pressed them on my late-model carrier.

someone tell me, why NOT an 8 1/4 chrysler rear end out of the MILLIONS of 87-2000 XJ jeep cherokees that were built? spring pad perches -no biggie. any one know if the yoke would be the same for a 904 transmission driveline? the width may be a little narrow but has any one measured one of these? there are so many cheap gearsets and ratios available for these, what about a dana 30 or 35 out of the same cherokees? i recently sold my XJ cherokee to buy my duster so i didnt have a chance to compare,has any body out there checked into this?as im sure most everyone knows these all had a 4 1/2 in pattern and the newer versions have disc brakes to boot

I got a sweet deal on rims that I liked the design of off of one of those Jeeps.

someone tell me, why NOT an 8 1/4 chrysler rear end out of the MILLIONS of 87-2000 XJ jeep cherokees that were built? spring pad perches -no biggie. any one know if the yoke would be the same for a 904 transmission driveline? the width may be a little narrow but has any one measured one of these? there are so many cheap gearsets and ratios available for these, what about a dana 30 or 35 out of the same cherokees? i recently sold my XJ cherokee to buy my duster so i didnt have a chance to compare,has any body out there checked into this?as im sure most everyone knows these all had a 4 1/2 in pattern and the newer versions have disc brakes to boot

Yeah...would a Cherokee axle assembly work?
This would be a huge help....

-
Back