Possible used Wheel deal.

-

89on35s

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have researched many threads on the forum and came up with lots of great info. I just didn’t find exactly what I needed to know to be sure these will fit. I came across a deal on some used American Racing AR105M Torque Thrust M wheels. Fronts are 18x9 with 6.34” backspace and the rears are 18x10 with 7.27” backspace. They have worn out 255/45-18 and 295/45-18 rubber but I will get new rubber anyway. I can get them super cheap because they are in dire need of refinishing (something I can do) so that is my reason for considering these particular ones. I am told they were on a 2011 Mustang.

My 74 Duster has stock front brakes, tubular upper control arms from PST, stock lower control arms with reinforcing plates welded on. It has 1.03 torsion bars and 1-1/8” sway bar also from PST. In the rear I currently have 002/003 super stock springs in the stock location. I am upgrading my rear to an 8 ¾ this winter and I have an A body width and a B body width to choose from. I can easily offset my springs inboard if needed when I do the diff swap.

Can I make these wheels work in my car with minimal spacers? What size rubber would I be able to use?

Cley

no, and no

The fronts will never fit. The max front bs is about 4.5. Oh wait; 4.5 with a 15 puts the hoops into the Upper BJ. With 18s you could go a tiny bit more if you modify the steering stops so the rubber don't rub on the S-bar at the front side or on the frame on the rear side..... but you'll never get to 6.34. And if you fabbed spacers, then the tire outboard face will be in the fender.
To fit the rears you will need some spacers between the wheels and the axle flanges.The max rear bs on a stock rear is also about 4.5. On the B-body add 1/2, and with offset spring hangers, add another 1/2; for a total of 5.5ish. Sometimes a bit more. But never 7.27

Last edited:
I have a 6.2" backaspace on my 18x9 front wheels that could be made to fit with minimal spacers. The rear, even with the B-body 8 3/4, will most definitely need spacers with a 7.27 bs.

what ever you are doing .?. if u spend ALOT OF$. spend a little more and make correct, as wheel adaptors. axles r cheap if u have a 83/4 housing. if not stop get one . then housing can b made wheel pattern is easy 4.5. I just had a 83/4 narrowed got new axles 4 250.00.

So, I know this is an older thread and the OP probably missed out on these rims and tires already. But since it came right up at the top of a search I was doing for something else, I thought I’d correct it for anyone else that might come across it.

In the front, with the stock 73+ disks, an 18x9 with a 6.1 to 6.2” backspace is exactly what you need to run 275/35/18’s up front. The wheels in question, with a 6.34” backspace, would probably have worked as is with 255/40/18’s. And could have been used with a small spacer with 275’s. My Duster actually has 18x9’s with a 6.4” backspace, my 13” rotors add a little to the track width which makes it work without spacers.

In the back, once again, those 18x10’s are workable. With a 68-70 B-body rear axle and a 1/2” spring offset I run 18x10’s with a 7” backspace and 295/35/18’s on my Duster. So, with a slightly narrower tire, or a 1/4” spacer, those wheels would have been fine. A 1/4” spacer is about as wide as I like to use for a plain flat spacer, and would definitely need longer wheel studs. But with those considerations, perfectly workable.

Sorry to the OP for missing this one the first time around, I might have been able to save you some money on some wheels.

18” wheels clear all of the factory suspension. Ball joints, tie rod ends, everything. The only limits are the frame and the fenders. Which is how you run 275’s up front on an A-body, using a ton more backspace than anything the factory could pull off with smaller wheels.

Last edited:
-
Back