?Possible?

-

mech1nxh

CUSTOM TITLE
Reaction score
'LA'- block castings ,
Can the block be machined to install
--Oil Jets--for piston cooling ???

They kinda "already are" because the rods have the oil squirt holes in them that douse the cylinder walls.

I found this a while back

pistonoilspray001_mini.jpg

Humble Apologies,
Perhaps my question was not stated correctly.
'LA'-BLOCK castings ,
Can the BLOCK be machined to install
--Oil Jets--for PISTON cooling ???
(numerous diesel & gasoline turbo engines)
Thx

Humble Apologies,
Perhaps my question was not stated correctly.
'LA'-BLOCK castings ,
Can the BLOCK be machined to install
--Oil Jets--for PISTON cooling ???
(numerous diesel & gasoline turbo engines)
Thx

No, you asked correctly.

???Anyone???
Any help appreciated
Thx!!
If your talking about something like what the boosted third gen hemis and LS use in the bottom end, I think it would probably have to come from the back of the block through steel hard line across the bottom and outside perimeter of a windage tray and tee off under each cylinder. Those squirt tubes that go in a DXC hemi block are only about a 3/32 of an inch and pinch down to a point on the end. It definitely would take some pre planning but if you used brass junction blocks and 1/8 inch or smaller line to make a line/jet out of... just throwing an idea out there, FWIW, probably not a whole lot of help. But I don’t see being able to tap the oil galleys under each cylinder like in the newer engines with the banjo fitting and hollow bolt either, as in this example...
426 Hemi - Return Of The Orange Monster - Hot Rod Magazine

Post #2 is correct. If you look at the stock rods you'll see the oil pee slot. If using aftermarket rods and you really want the oilers just cut the little slot in them like Chrysler did from the factory.

I suspect the OP is asking about this because of the need for continuous oil spray directly under the piston crown in a high boost application to help control piston temps, which the rods won’t do as much as the squirters. If that’s the case, what about the overall build at this point? If it’s going to have enough boost and whatever else to require a constant oil spray to keep the piston crowns from melting, it’s going to need to be an aftermarket block, and a whole bunch more stuff. Are we talking outlaw 8.5/275 drag radial class racing or the like? Part of the reason why the new super boosted Detroit engines run them is because the piston crowns and top ring land spacing are barely adequate to start with.

I'd say the idea in post 3 would do the same job as the bolt in jets for a lot less work. The drilling could be tapped for a straight jet bore side if an exact size is required.
Neil.

And of course drilling the upper bearing shell, too. I get a little queasy thinking about stealing oil right from the main bearing in something that is pushing enough boost to need continuous oil spray to the bottom of the piston. Maybe not so bad for the mains but the top bearing shell in the rod is always going to be loaded under boost. But, it’s probably going to better than a bunch of hard line snaking around under a boatload of vibration!

And of course drilling the upper bearing shell, too. I get a little queasy thinking about stealing oil right from the main bearing in something that is pushing enough boost to need continuous oil spray to the bottom of the piston. Maybe not so bad for the mains but the top bearing shell in the rod is always going to be loaded under boost. But, it’s probably going to better than a bunch of hard line snaking around under a boatload of vibration!

I think it's doable, I think that drill is way to big but with a high volume pump as long as you can hold the pressure the rods are fine and with full groove mains I don't think there would be a problem I'm thinking of making a gig to do this, It will probably take 3 to do all cyls, maybe this summer when I get time I will give it a try.

-
Back